Using both Delay and Auto Turn off in a Routine

I am trying to move my Webcore pistons over to Routines and Scenes. I have to admit the moves for most of my easy, turn device on/off pistons have been pretty easy, but I am having difficulties with one that I am using with my Ring doorbell. The current piston senses when the doorbell is pressed and if it is night time, waits 10 seconds then turns on an inside light (to make it look like someone is home), then waits 10 mins and turns it off.

In trying to create a routine to do this, I can choose to delay the turn on of the device for 10 seconds or I can have the device automatically turn off after 10 mins, but it won’t do both. Once I select one, it won’t let me do the other. Do I have to create 2 routines to make this happen? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Still contemplating how I will convert some of my more complicated pistons, so I may be back for more help.

1 Like

Yes, I looks like you will need 2 routines. Since the routine limit was increased to 1,000 that should not be an issue for most people.

Thanks Paul - I have now created 2 routines, one that turns on the light after a 10 second delay and a second that turns off the light 10 mins later. Having to create multiple routines to replace a single piston is disappointing, not sure what is going to happen when I get to the complicated ones. I guess I should just be thankful that things with the Webcore pistons have been so stable for the past 5+ years.

1 Like

I ditched webcore about a year ago and have found routines to work reliablely. Keep in mind that you can use virtual switches to some extent like you used variables in webcore, but does add extra routines.

SharpTools is an option for more complicated things. They have a free tier and a pay tier.

1 Like

Glad you found a solution for this use case. You might also find the following thread of interest:

Replace Groovy with Automations—what’s your plan?

Thanks JDRoberts. I actually saw this post and that is what led me to this forum. I am currently hhsphase of your message trying to figure out if I can do what I want to do with only automations. I would really rather just stick with this if possible, as this seems to be less complicated, but if this won’t work, I’ll definitely be looking at the other options you suggested.

1 Like