Updates to the SmartThings Platform

Samsung claims that ADT is solely responsible for the firmware of the ADT hub and it’s updates. They just provide the tools necessary… imo just BS

Can you please provide more info or a link about this news? My search-fu must be weak today, as I don’t see mention of this anywhere else. Thanks!

3 Likes

@jkp to the rescue!

2 Likes

If only I could get my August Connect to work again! Then that would be a rescue

2 Likes

@jkp @nathancu

Thank you, kind sirs!

1 Like

Is there a fix coming soon so we can choose which devices are exposed to a voice assistant?

I still don’t get your logic.

Fix = allow devices to be selectable. Reasons for that have nothing to do with the fix. Maybe it’s just me and I’m missing something.

6 Likes

US only. No use for us in Rest of World…

So the biggest automation we use is the “I’m back” and “Everyone Leaves” functionality. With all the comments about the lack of presence visibility, will those still work?

I hadn’t transitioned to the new app because I haven’t seen the ability to recreate our presence as Favorites on the dashboard and the inability to set a fingerprint password at launch.

While I can’t get energized over some of the other items in this thread, those three things (ability to see presence, ability to trigger off of presence and fingerprint security) are basic functionality of the Classic app and it doesn’t seem like it could be sunset until those features are available.

Also, device history was more understandable and rich in the classic app. It would show me that a given lock was locked automatically and by the automation that locked it. The new application only shows manual lock and unlock events…but that is only part of the relevant history. Light history is equally sparse in the new app.

I fully understand wanting to get to the new platform, but these are not advanced features that are lacking.

You can trigger things off presence just fine (assuming it’s working). You just can’t see it in the dashboard because there is now device that is shown.

Lack of a device presence visibility doesn’t matter; the automations will work, assuming (as @Automated_House says), it’s working. It just stopped working, as the most recent update of the new app broke presence for many people (at least on Android).

2 Likes

Mine doesn’t work (worked before update) & it removed my phone from all automatons.

So the command "Who? Where? When? " works the same as the ST Classic geofencing and will turn lights on as I get home and lock doors as I leave?

I’ll try this but the wording is very awkward. I totally understand porting the application to better infrastructure but the commands are no longer intuitive. It was so much more clear to say to perform the routine when someone arrives or everyone leaves.

1 Like

My primary use is for Hue bulbs; I have outdoor lights on timers and I want to exclude them from the “okay Google turn everything off”, etc. I also use some custom device handlers which are useless within Google Home’s app, but show up there anyway, so I hid them from it in the past.

1 Like

Not exactly because on the Classic app, Life360 presence was treated the same as your mobile phone’s geolocation presence and can identify a person by location. In the new app, Life360 is treated as presence sensor device and labeled as part of the People group. So you don’t build routines based on a member’s “location”. Instead your condition is based on Device Status like "If the Presence sensor named (FirstName LastName) is/is not present, do ". Now that’s in the If…Then Automations. In many of the SmartApps (such as LUM), Life360 is treated as geolocation vs being a presence sensor device.

Now that being said, if you are just using your mobile phone’s built-in geolocation, automations seem to work roughly equivalent to the classic app with the exception of not being able to create quite as complex conditionals such as “wait 5 minutes after this device status changes to do (something)”. Location mode changes and Member location changes do offer the ability to have a delay before taking the subsequent action though.

You can use SharpTools to set up presence with Life360 that waits x minutes before doing something (e.g., if x is present for 5 minutes, do something).

2 Likes

If you like, you can put this in the community – created wiki. There was an old bugs report page there, but it stopped being kept up-to-date about a year ago I think. Anyway, you can certainly add a new one for the migration if you want.

There’s already a category for “known system issues“ so just put it there. :sunglasses:

It’s a regular wiki, so anyone can add to it and anyone can update it. Point back to discussion threads in the forum for ongoing discussion, and just keep the page for a list of facts.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Category:Known_System_Issues

3 Likes

I’m not using Life360. I guess I’ll wait until we are force-migrated and see what I get.

I’ve just read this. It is more than that. I have Philips Hue bulbs for 6 years. The bulbs are still working, the Bridge (v1) had to be replaced recently, but migration was really easy. Of course the maintenance might be, when new apps (design) released, but it is working since I installed the first one.
The same applies for the Original LIFX bulbs. Some cloud hiccups, but everything works. (I have just installed one recently what I haven’t even used since I bought 5 years ago. Only the firmware upgrade was an issue, but still works.)

1 Like

1000% agreed. The initial Google integration worked the way it has now been pushed out. It created havoc as I have several light groups and hid individual lights that made up those groups from google. Similar names cause conflicts. It was simpler to have a light group Called kitchen, made up of all three lights in the fixture. Eventually, we had the ability to discretely choose the items google was allowed to have access to.

Since it has reverted back, I have had to change the names on all the individual bulbs to nonsensical names and move them into a room I created for items that I do not uses regularly (I just call the room “ZZZ Not Used”) That at least helps me not have to view all the ones I do not want to see at the top of the list. I still had the room set up from before when I had to do this workaround before.

To answer your question, I bet they tested it about as much as they have tested many things recently. That test relies on pushing it out and letting us test it for them.

4 Likes