Updates to the SmartThings Platform

Pretty sure I’m still a human being, even if I’m one that’s highly dependent on technology. I haven’t achieved full cyborg status yet. LOL!

Anyway, I haven’t seen anything official regarding the dual logo ADT/smartthings hub, and ADT has historically been very reluctant to officially discontinue any installed equipment, they just stop selling it new. But my understanding is that it hasn’t had firmware updates for quite a while and ADT doesn’t seem to be working on it. It is quite difficult to get support if you run into a problem. :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

In other words you don’t know, you’re just speculating. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Yep. Just a guess on my part. Like I said, I haven’t seen anything official.

…and I’ll take @JDRoberts’ guesses over ST Support Desk responses any day of the week.

18 Likes

I’m having trouble following the Google Home issues with the new app integration, and understanding what the impact will be (read:how much time I should set aside from enjoyment this weekend). Here’s my environment:

I set myself up as owner in ST for two locations (both created in Classic), one is my home, the second my in-laws vacation home. (This had the advantage that when I modified a custom SmartApp/DTH, it would change in both places.) Both my wife and in-laws were invited to this new home. However, of course, the ST integrations only supported a single home.

I only recently got the Alexa and Google Home devices happy in both locations with no device crossover (like 2 weeks ago, I was so happy with myself – I hate 2020)… I realize once I delete and re-establish the integrations I’m starting over.

**Can anyone say what the effect will be after re-integration? ** Will my Google Home devices not understand which of the 2 homes they are in (i.e. if I’m home and ask it to turn off a device uniquely named in the other home will it silently do it)? Will Alexa do the same? (I don’t really ever use a vague command like turn off all lights - I usually create a group like Downstairs and I say turn off Downstairs).

Talking about this with the engineers and voice product manager in Slack right now.
Can you all help us zero in on what the primary issue with no selection mechanism is so we can build the best solution?

I want to be able to select which devices I share with voice assistant platforms so that I can:

• Eliminate duplicate devices in Amazon Alexa™ and Google™ Home
  • Customize the way each app dashboard looks
  • Protect the privacy of my location
  • Customize which voice assistants control which devices

0 voters

13 Likes

What if we have more than one reason? I don’t want duplicates, I want to control which voice assistants manage which devices, And I want to remove some devices from voice control all together for safety reasons.

16 Likes

We thought about that, but we’d like to get a forced rank of which is most important. The previous groovy-based method of doing this covered pretty much all of those, but we may need to prioritize to get a fix out sooner rather than later and the approach is a little different depending on the primary need.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t delete them if I were you. They’ll only reappear on the next Discovery. You can only disable them …

1 Like

Ok, Then, mine is the one you don’t have listed: I have devices which I do not want enabled for any voice control for safety reasons. Not privacy reasons.

14 Likes

Understood - I was aware of that from some of your previous comments - thank you for reminding us again, this is a really important use case.

4 Likes

I believe while your analysis is very precise, unless I work in a job full-time to fix these issues using the method you described over the next three weeks (or even months in some instances), it is entirely impractical to almost everyone but the most die-hard programmers to implement the method you described.

I realize you’re trying to be somewhat fair to the other side (the decision-makers), and I’m trying to be as well, understanding the numerous technological factors and influencers they have to navigate when making difficult decisions. But I wanted to emphasize this is not likely a problem that “requires” a critical fix within 3 weeks, and if it is that type of problem, it was either 1) predictable, and should have given them much more time to notify users and developers for everyone to have a much longer period to adjust, or 2) it’s a problem of their own making. In either case, it leaves the end-user to question the logic of continuing down a rabbit hole of utilizing other very successful Dev apps such as webCore. How will anyone really know what they will do next? How much time is a person suppose to spend developing something, the longevity of which is so much in question?

Thanks for your thoughts @JDRoberts, you were spot on with your analysis. And my list is certainly not comprehensive, you reminded me about the echo guard feature being turned off. I just shook my head when I think of the hours I spent over the last six months making this home automation thing more than just turning off lights. My house actually began interacting, which to me is really the next phase of this technology, bringing home automation to a point where it becomes a required component of modern life. Right now most people just think of it as a novelty, something tech nerds do in their spare time. Smartthings had something no other platform was doing, and it was very popular and successful (so I’ve read). Instead of turning it off, they should realize when they have a good thing and build upon it.

Just my humble opinion.

6 Likes

I misunderstood the question.

1. Customize which Devices can be accessed by which Voice Assistant is my #1 answer because of Privacy!
1 Like

I must be missing something as this survey doesn’t even make sense to me. If you allow users to select devices that they actually wish to use with Alexa, then all of these issues go away. And there is really only two issues, those related to safety/security/privacy/etc. and those related to management (ease of use, user friendly, intuitiveness, whatever you want to call it). Who wants to wade through potentially dozens of devices that just don’t need to be available to Alexa because the user will never use them with Alexa, never mind any potential safety/security/privacy issues there may be on top of that. And never mind having to potentially rename and disable those devices to prevent Alexa from getting them confused with devices the user actually wants to use with Alexa.

4 Likes

You make very good points, and I agree with all of them. :sunglasses: I certainly wasn’t trying to diminish the amount of work it would take to switch over.

But in my case, Home Automation was never just a novelty, nor was it a techie hobby: it’s something I need for my everyday safety and independence. So there are some use cases which I am willing to solve even if it takes more time and money than a more able-bodied person would want to spend. :wink:

So really I just wanted to highlight the fact that many of the use cases you listed could be solved in an alternative manner. Again, that’s not to diminish the amount of time and effort it would take to do so. But there is a difference between “can’t“ and “might not be worth the effort,“ and for some of us the reward/effort calculation has some extra factors.

(By the way, that works both ways. Since I have to pay someone else to do any of the physical manipulation, even popping the batteries on a sensor, some glitches are much more significant to me than they would be to a more able-bodied person. So that also affects my decision making. )

3 Likes

If you have pihole or similar firewall, make sure you have whitelisted the two samsung servers. It’s documented elsewhere.

1 Like

Based upon that comment, I changed my vote from “Protect the privacy of my location” (I really have devices I do not want Alexa have access to) to “Customize which voice assistants control which devices”.

(But I really wish that option was simply: “Customize which devices a voice assistant can control”)

I am specifically not asking about “eliminating duplicates”. That’s a side effect of not being able to customize which devices I can expose.

4 Likes

You have great perspective @JDRoberts, have a great weekend.

1 Like

Yea … safety is a big concern … my sister at her house told alexa to " turn off all bedroom lights" at her house and opps turned off mom’s oxygen in my parents bedroom at their house (seperate
location) … that is how I found out there was an issue a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly!

In my case, it’s a medical monitoring system. I have it plugged into a smart plug so I can reboot it if needed. (Very rare, but it can happen, and I can’t do the plug myself.)

This is part of my home automation system, but I do not want it on voice control. If needed, I can toggle it through the app.

Tagging @blake.arnold in case specific examples are helpful. :sunglasses:

2 Likes