Update to SmartThings Groovy Transition

Thanks! That explains it.

1 Like

My ST Wi-fi hub with 43.5 is running Edge drivers with no problems.

2 Likes

It’s not that everyone has problems, but a number of people have had. There are multiple threads in the forum about the issues.

I think it is unreasonable to ask people to buy another $120 Hub and a new wifi mesh system that can cause a few hundred dollars as well. I bought the wifi hub a few years ago, on a great discount from home depot, specifically to avoid spending all of the money. If the hub is not supported, Samsung needs to just come out and sunset the device. If it is supported, they can’t move forward with this migration with these issues. I am struggling as well with many edge drivers (not all), specifically Lan based drivers and some drivers that requires functionality from a recent firmware update to the v3, but not uub.

1 Like

If you’re in the US, get a used V2 hub from eBay for around $20-$25. Use your existing device for your WiFi unless you would rather something else. Solving your problem for a few dollars is sometimes easier than trying to keep with principal.

4 Likes

Not sure I would recommend a V2 to anyone. First, you would might need to deal with the registration code and second, it is a 7 year old hub at this point with no thread (but it is still supported at this point). Plus the other nasty possibilities that could pop up… did the seller remove it from their account and have they updated the hub within the past few years. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

Work with ST support to resolve your issue. I posted a link above so there may or may not be a possible resolution (may or may not be the same issue) so hopefully @nayelyz can offer assistance during the week.

A simple “does it have the setup code card” question to the seller would solve that. And his existing WiFi/hub doesn’t have Thread either. I still prefer V2 for the increased memory.

My point is for a couple dollars you can get going with Edge without too much hassle. No its not an upgrade perse, but there IS no upgrade hub at this point.

2 Likes

choice is good as @JDRoberts points out

but overall, the user should work with support to resolve the issue so they would not need another hub :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a couple hundred devices. Rebuilding my smart home one device at a time, on such an old hub, doesn’t sound like the best path forward. I also have a couple hundred routines.

2 Likes

I feel for you. Unfortunately other than seeing if support can assist with your existing hub, there really aren’t other options that don’t rely on you starting over.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag, @jkp!

Just as a reference, I replied to @Robrall here:

1 Like

If you don’t have any z-wave devices, you could wait for the SmartThings Station to come out next month and use it with a separate mesh wifi system.

1 Like

I do. I have a bunch of Zooz, Inovelli and others…

You really think it’s going to ship next month? :thinking:

1 Like

It’s already been through hte FCC a couple months ago and ready to add in the mobile app :man_shrugging:

Clearly @SmartThings does not listen. There were no confirmations that critical functionality has been delivered via the new APIs to create paths forward for critical Groovy smart apps, and now the platform has been shut down.

At this point, if a path forward for LUM and RLA are not provided soon, many platform users are going to have to start looking at other platforms to serve both business and personal needs.

1 Like

It is not that it does not work. It is some people had been tweaking for 7-8 years with webcore and other triggers that no longer exist. Even some devices that are supported do not work right. My house by far as gone from a smart efficient home to old fashioned home with expensive switches and sensors. The ST app is so limited in setting up routines and scenes. It is simple and probably works for 80% of the people but right now I feel like it has taken a step back 7-8 years.

We shall see what the future brings for the ST app but right not I might have to scramble everything to another hub or sort to get everything just working again.

1 Like

It seems to me that @SmartThings does not appreciate that the small percentage of users who used RLA and LUM represent a vastly larger influence pool. These are influential technical business people who are active online, and who used these SmartApps in ways that are visible and very important to many many more people (thousands of users a year in my case and many others).

Significant trust has been lost because the promise to replace key functionality was not met, and now this small but relevant group is scrambling to create alternatives. It will not be easy to build back that trust, and convince this group to evangelize again for ST.

I think this is true, but I’m not sure any more trust was lost than when phones caught on fire or washing machines, well, exploded. And those are flagship products!

The washing machine recall was for 2.6 million units. Two years later Samsung was still the number one washing machine brand in the US.

Reputation is an odd thing…

3 Likes

You’re talking about a company that collaborates with the likes of BTS, Ninja, Steve Aoki, and other celebrities. So yeah, Rboy apps users are a pretty small influence pool. SmartThings isn’t the 2011 tiny tech startup anymore.

6 Likes