Update Required: New Sonos Integration

Hi community!

Like many of you on this thread, I went for the option of changing the device type via the SmartThings web interface, as I didn’t want to lose the integrations I’d setup using the classic app (by removing the speakers and re-adding them).

After a few days, realised I wasn’t getting any voice notifications from my webCoRE Pistons anymore. At that point I embarked on my journey through the 7 Stages of Grief:

1. SHOCK & DENIAL
    Hang-on! My Pistons have stopped working. Surely this can’t be true. Maybe I went to sleep before my night-time routine kicked in and I missed the voice notification. Maybe my speakers were on mute.

2. PAIN & GUILT
    Maybe I screwed something up? I have just been away for two weeks on holiday having a good time. Was there an e-mail I missed? Some other webCoRE update I should have applied? Yes, it must be my fault. Samsung and Sonos wouldn’t hurt me like this.

3. ANGER & BARGAINING
    #uck this Smart Home Life! It’s like a full time job. I program computers all day at work, then I have to come home and do it all again just because of some crappy software update! Why should I have to do this?

4. DEPRESSION, REFLECTION, LONELINESS
    I could cry right now. I have to re-write 20 webCoRE Pistons now. This is going to take so much of my free time. I wonder if it’s all really worth it. What am I doing with my life? I wonder if anyone else is experiencing what I’m feeling. I feel so alone. Maybe I should reach-out to the community.

5. THE UPWARD TURN
    OK, let’s stop this wallowing in self-pity. I can fix this. Let me check the community pages. There must be a way through this. Yes! I’m not alone. It’s not my scripts! It’s SmartThings and Sonos after all! Other people are going through the same pain as me!

6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH
    OK what are my options? It sounds like some people are using the apps to achieve text to speech. But what about all my lovely pistons with TTS embedded in them. How can I fix these? Do I need to migrate. Can I chain some event to the app and get TTS to trigger after my Piston has executed?

7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE
    OK, looks like I’m screwed. If I roll back the change, it will break again on the 17th October anyway. I may as well live with a mute Smart Home and hope that SmartThings and Sonos add back the deprecated features sometime before I simply lay down and let the moss consume me.

:slight_smile:

Seriously though…is there anyone else on this thread using TTS on a Sonos speaker in the middle of their Pistons who has a simple solution to this? I don’t want to use another app or framework ideally. I have virtually all my automations in webCoRE.

Thanks in anticipation and hope.

8 Likes