UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

True, but I have to believe that the people who use the platform now are the early-adaptor type who end up recommending (or not) to dozens of others.

2 Likes

Yes indeed

This is why Iā€™m glad I held on to my iSmartAlarm setup for security. It has its own limitations, but at least itā€™s been reliable for me. SMH has great potential, but I think itā€™s just too early for me to trust my homeā€™s security with ST. I still love ST for home automation stuff, and maybe one day Iā€™ll go all-in. Iā€™ll stick around because I do think theyā€™ll get it sorted eventually.

I canā€™t, in good faith, put anything but lights under SmartThings control, and, by and large, most of those have manual (switch) backups. Sorry, but putting something like locks or smoke detectors under SmartThings control right now does not strike me as a good idea. :frowning:

8 Likes

Exactly how I feel.

Maybe nows the time to develop a pro hub where EVERYTHING runs off it locallyā€¦

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no reason the current hub canā€™t support that. Granted itā€™s a low power Linux box it still should be able to pull sunrise/sunset from the web when it can and apply it to anything requesting sunrise sunset locally. Also it should be able to handle most of these SmartApps, I canā€™t imagine one persons code crunching being enough to grind it to halt. Maybe @Mike_Maxwellā€™s :wink:

Then they should drop the Samsung brand ā€“ that excuse (or reality) is long gone

2 Likes

Be careful what you wish for, might happen the other way aroundā€¦

Communication is super important to convey the attitude and concern of the team.

But ultimately they know and we know, if it doesnā€™t become stable within a certain time, it will cease to be a thing. On that point weā€™re all in it together - weā€™d all be screwed to one degree or another if the product fails or is discontinued.

3 Likes

Absolutely true; Regardless of whatever ā€œharshā€ words I express here, I in no way want this company and product to fail. Iā€™m also very confident that nothing we say could possibly hasten itā€™s demise.

Sureā€¦ I sometimes say Iā€™d like to see the media (the gadget press) accurately reflect the problems we Customers experience; but thatā€™s just to be fair to fellow consumers and help SmartThings make the best decisions to respond to the market and tailor their PR.

Why do I want to know the root cause of this incident? Because a satisfactory answer could help me to promote the product again with a cleaner conscience.

7 Likes

Well one thing starts working then my hue integration fails.

1 Like

My main problems for the past 48 hours were all related to my zigbee motion sensors (ST and Iris, both using SmartThings Motion device type) and switches (Quirky Tapt using Zigbee Switch device type). Zwave was completely fine, as were my ST door sensors. I just manually re-paired all if those devices (I did not remove them or their processes first), and everything appears to be working properly again. Cycled power at the breaker for the Tapt switches to re-pair.

I know this is not the same issue most others are having, but hope it helps at least one of you.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if that is the aim of the game for Samsung. We take all the pain in developing their cloud based service which weā€™ll all have to pay a subscription for in timeā€¦ From my point of view we have all paid to become beta testersā€¦ The biggest shocker for me is Iā€™m in the UK where there the list of compatible products is minisculeā€¦ Something to do with there being a difference in oxygen that we breath from one continent to another and a banana-relay switch failure or some rubbish excuse like that.

After armageddon yesterday afternoon I had some luck late last night, however this morning the alerts can be dismissed but SHM will not disarm.

I understand top men are working on it, top menā€¦

If it is any consolation I got a response one hour after I submitted my help ticket, that is working better.

Wow, you got a response after an hour? They must be ignoring me. I submitted a ticket days ago and got no response, and Iā€™ve replied once a day with further details asking for an update.

I also have the Aeon Labs Gen5 siren and I cannot change the tone, set it to strobe only, or change any settings other than duration for it. Also, it does seem to cause problems with smart home monitor, including making the ā€˜mute sirens and disarmā€™ buttons on the pop up after clicking the incident triangle do nothing and making SHM become unresponsive. I told support about this weeks ago and days ago, and they refuse to as much as acknowledge the problem either time.

I think they are unaware of the problem because they donā€™t read emails completely before replying.

1 Like

Well, fingers crossed, everything on my end is working now. Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks to ST for all the hard work. I, and Iā€™m sure others are really grateful. :clap:

Spoke too soon. Just got a front door intrusion alert, SHM showing system Disarmed.

That isnā€™t what I wanted to hear after just switching from staples connect to smartthings, lol

1 Like

In other words keep making money, and screw the current users. Thatā€™s what it amounts to.

3 Likes