Update on SmartThings Classic Shutdown

Excellent! I know at one time they had been saying they were going to fix the SmartWeather Station Tile to display temp instead of humidity on the tile in the new IOS app, but it never happened. I was afraid they stopped trying to fix it and were getting rid of it.

As part of the Classic app migration, a ā€œCustom Monitorsā€ SmartApp was automatically added to replace the custom rules I had in SHM. Is that what is now going away now?

1 Like

I did not get that added and I donā€™t see a way to add it in the smartapps menu. SHM Custom is also in their list of apps getting deleted, so it sounds like it is going away. Iā€™ve been asking for Automations to support this since the migration began, but here we areā€¦

1 Like

I read it as the custom rules within the context of the SHM app. So I would favour ā€˜noā€™.

@jlv How does ā€œcustom monitorsā€ show in the IDE? The SHM version showed as a child app of SHM if I remember right.

Custom Monitors did appear until early October through the migration tool:

1 Like

No. The custom SHM rules you had were recreated in the new endpoint version - STHM. That wonā€™t go away.

1 Like

Blake, iā€™m confused by this. I donā€™t see anywhere in STHM to create a rule that says ā€œif door is open for X minutes, send an alertā€

1 Like

Iā€™m getting more and more confused (but what is new? :grinning:)

In the new app (migrated a couple of months ago) I do not have STHM (should I?). I do, however, have Custom Monitors and it has most of my notification-type rules ported over from the classic app (I canā€™t be sure now, but I think they were all custom rules in SHM - things like notify if a door has been open for x minutes).

So are all those Custom Monitors going away? Itā€™s getting to the point where I will be lucky to be able to turn on a light via SmartThings. Or are you going to take Smart Lighting away too? :tired_face:

After moving house I have this grand plan to upgrade from smart plugs to smart switches and outlets, but this whole mess with the classic app, Simple Device Viewer no longer being able to check ā€œlast eventā€, Life360 integration not working, and talk of Samsung discontinuing sales of hardware is making me look hard at other solutions.

1 Like

They did for people in some European countries. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

It shows up in the list of SmartApps. As mentioned above, it only showed up for people who invoked the migration late in the game (October). There appears to be no way to add the SmartApp manually. Once it is there you can add additional rules.

1 Like

As long as I have webCoRE, Iā€™m good. If it goes then I really donā€™t have a choice to leave because itā€™s just too much to do what I now consider simple automations based on various conditions with varying results based on those being met.

I just donā€™t understand how ST hired the person responsible for creating webCoRE and end up with a garbage automation engine that canā€™t seem to accomplish the simplest of task.

If phone is away and pc ā€œturnsā€ on then textā€¦I could leave right after getting off the computer and get a text that it turned on while I was gone. :man_facepalming:t5:

If such a such stays on for x amount of time then textā€¦NopešŸ¤¦šŸ¾ā€ā™‚ļø

If too many conditions are put in the If then automation works sometimes but not all. :man_facepalming:t5:

STHM tell a me that a sensor is opened but not tell me which oneā€¦:man_facepalming:t5:

App takes forever to load tiles and get statusā€¦:man_facepalming:t5:

Have to have a Samsung phone to use custom locationsā€¦:man_facepalming:t5:

Canā€™t see what SmartApp triggered an Eventā€¦:man_facepalming:t5:

Canā€™t see what SmartApps are tied to a deviceā€¦:man_facepalming:t5:

Issa whole mess. :man_facepalming:t5:

4 Likes

In SmartThings fashion, why the heck is one of my :man_facepalming:t5: Shirts Blue? Seems about the overall accuracy of things working as they should. :man_shrugging:t5::rofl:

1 Like

For me, the new app constantly says ā€œNetwork not connectedā€ every time I leave and come back home (my Samsung S8 goes from LTE to local WiFi). I have to turn WiFi off and on again to get it to notice a network change and then it works. Itā€™s the only app with this problem; naturally the Classic app worked just fine without this problem while the new app was doing this nonsense. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, they are not going away. When you migrated over from Classic, any custom SHM rules were recreated in the new app. That was a one-time thing to ensure we didnā€™t break someoneā€™s existing functionality from SHM as they moved over. @jlv is correct that they are implemented as a custom Groovy smartapp that is not user-installable outside of the migration process.

In the future, custom automations should be created through the rule builder. Per @Automated_Houseā€™s question earlier, weā€™re aware that ā€œremainsā€ functionality that was part of custom SHM rules before is missing right now - that is one of a series of rule enhancements that the team is working on.

3 Likes

This is correct. For any users that still see Weather Station as a child app of Hello Home, we will be moving it to be a child app of SmartLighting before the rate limit/delete so that Smart Lighting sunrise/sunset automations are not impacted.

1 Like

That being said, then why not make the Custom Monitors Groovy available to everyone while we all are waiting for the ā€˜series of rule enhancements that your team is working onā€™ to eventually happen? I donā€™t understand why you just canā€™t add it to everyoneā€™s SmartThings profile.

5 Likes

They want to kill groovy smartapps completely, thatā€™s why they donā€™t do that.

1 Like

If the hub offline notification module/app is going away. How can I replicate that in the new app? Didnā€™t realize that functionality was changing.

PS, I just skimmed a little more of this thread and noticed the earlier post by @jdroberts, Dec 9, which posted to what I think Iā€™m looking for: FAQ: Get a Notification if Something is Left On, Open, or Unlocked for X Minutes (2020)

Original post:

The main thing I used (and hope to still use) ST for, is a garage door alert. Of the general form ā€œIf the garage door is left open for X minutes send me a text.ā€

Is this still doable in the new app? I only recently did the migration and I canā€™t find any equivalent of this functionality in the new app, but I may be missing it.

Trying to catch up on the threads above, Iā€™m getting the impression that when I did the migration I may or may not have seen the rules reimplemented as ā€œCustom Monitorsā€. But, I couldnā€™t find them in the new app anywhere (although some, but not all, of them still appeared to be running last nightā€¦ I was still getting some text alerts but couldnā€™t find anywhere to edit them in the app.)

In the interest of trying to get a clean slate, and under the impression that the old texts were just things that were going to be deleted any day anyway, I deleted and re-added both of my garage door Multi sensors. I hope I didnā€™t thus blow away my one and only chance at getting the Custom Monitors.

I am a programmer, so if there is any way that this can still be done that isnā€™t going to be deleted in 3 months, Iā€™d be glad to do that too?