Under cabinet LED lighting dimmer

I am looking to somehow dim the under cabinet dimmer lights, unfortunately all the plugin dimmers that I’m seeing do not have ground on zwave outlet, just pass through, and led lights plug that I have had the ground plug, any ideas or solutions would be very much appreciated.

I use Hue light strips for this purpose and they look great. Not cheap though and you do need to have your outlets placed in the right spot which I fortunately do.

I think this is what you are looking for:

2 Likes

Has anyone used that with a generic LED strip that can verify it works?

Also, for under cabinet lighting, why would you need to dim them?

1 Like

I guess same reason you would want to not just have them on all the time? Because you can? I was thinking creating a schedule and adjusting brightness based on that schedule. I cannot use hue because I have to have 6 stripes that are interconnected because of corners

no kidding? I never noticed that. What about Remotec ZDS-110na? That is switchable to dimmer or switch and has ground plug.

How about some crazy implementation of that Spark / Neopixels project that someone did. I haven’t looked into the specifics of the LED strips to see if you can cut them to size (or get smaller ones) but it would seem cheaper than Hue :smile:

Without a doubt the Dresden light strips are amazing. small and inexpensive and work perfectly with the Hue remote app and hub. The colors are spot on. I have had 4 sets of these are they work seamlessly with SmartThings and Hue. The ONLY down side is you cant find the exact color match to extend them without a difference. One of my applications that I needed a longer run I just bought waterproof LED strips SUPERNIGHT and they worked great. http://www.amazon.com/Extension-Control-Wireless-Ballast-Certified/dp/B00PQINDM8/ref=lp_10665284011_1_3?srs=10665284011&ie=UTF8&qid=1440905236&sr=8-3.

Your lights are probably driven by DC with a converter somewhere? If so, you’ll need to use the Fibaro RGBW dimmer instead of an ac dimmer. Using a standard lamp dimmer if there is an ac/DC adaptor involved won’t work.

Actually there are AC/DC transformers that will dim the DC side when the AC is dimmed - I have 3 of these in my house, all working off of standard LED/CFL dimmer switches.

@codytruscott, I do, my led lights are also just plain white, so two wires red and black, do you think the controller will work with that? Do i just wire red to red and white to black? Thank you in advance!

Um, because tLEDs can be too bright in the evenings when full-on, and barely discernible during the day if dimmed to a comfortable level for the evenings.

Under cabinet lighting is often both task lighting and accent lighting…

1 Like

@storageanarchy what are you using?

I’ll have to get back to you on the specific model my electrician installed, but you can find several here: