UK light solutions

Have over 60 throughout the house so hue is not a realistic option for me at £50 each!. Noticed that milight gu10 are much cheaper around £13 each. May get a few to test. I’ve seen some good development on this device in the community.

Not sure if those Asda or Homebase ones work with ST though do they, not officially anyway?

I’ve got GU10 EasyBulb (same as MiLight) but still haven’t managed to get working with ST.

I had a few before I got ST, and although I’d like official supported ST ones like HUE, they are just too expensive.

I’d love to get EasyBulb working but it seems it hasn’t fully yet even by a SmartApp. Here’s hoping some clever soul helps!

I thought the proof of concept thread for rgbw milight were quite successful… Not the case?

Which please? I’ve asked and looked. Some is Android specific, others that it doesn’t work. In hoping it will though!!

This thread indicates that support for rgbw bulbs are working. Only thing missing was control of white temperature settings.

Just read through the whole thread. The developer seems to be doing a sterling job, but it seems, as he correctly states, it’s in alpha at moment.

Also it seems to use his personal server at the moment and he’s already has an attack on it, and takes it down often to update etc

For this reason I’m a little unsure to rely on this for my house lights. Wish it was better intergrated.

So…I seem to be back to Fibaro, but I only have 2 wires in my wall switches…

but it is based on this PHP API

you could host this locally and away you go :wink:

…And for fibaro, you don’t need a neutral wire. I have almost 20 fibaro dimmer modules (212) in my house, and my house has no neutrals (UK based).

Hi,

One question re the fibaro dimmer. I understand you need an extra capacitor module to absorb extra current if you use LED bulbs. Do you have these and would you be able to post any pictures of how they fit as everything I’ve read up upon sounds confusing?

No, I don’t have any bypass 2s fitted. People using Dimmer 2s have had varying luck with LED bulbs from my reading. If you have a half decent draw (probably around 20W I imagine) you shouldn’t have much of an issue. Less than that, and you might need a bypass 2.

Bypass 1 is for Dimmer 1, 2 is for 2. I don’t think installing them is particularly taxing as long as you get the correct one.

Moving downlights from halogen to LED is going to be my next project. However because they’re usually in groups of 6 or 8 the draw should be enough. I need to find a good bulb, as I like the dimming effect of halogens.

@John_Crighton great news! So can you help with the exact model to get please for UK use in a wall switch with only 2 wires for the switch please, drawings/photos please.

This will be great news if so I can leave EasyBulb for now and get working some existing lights for security and convenience that I’m after.

I do have all LEDs as well. Some are only 4W and only 3 in that bank. What would I do in this case?

Thanks

I’m using the Fibaro Dimmer 2, although I’m pretty sure the same stands for the Dimmer 1 as well. My advice would be to use momentary/retractive switches if you can, as these are way more intuitive than toggles for dimming and everyday use.

Also, I would get the Dimmer 2s and try them out with your LEDs without addressing the wattage issue. It may be that you need a Bypass 2 to address the low wattage, but I’ve heard stories of others not needing the bypass for very low wattage setups.

This is a great thread for UK options, here I talk about the switches I’m using:

Thanks I’ll have a read. So you can’t use your existing normal standard on/off wall switch? I’d have to replace those?

I’ve got to keep this as “normal” as possible for the wife!

You can use normal switches, yes. I’ve never done this though, and have had retractive ones for ages (same with my previous setup). It’s just a click for on if they’re off, or a click for off if they’re on. Hold down to dim up or dim down. You can also double tap to turn on at full brightness, or click and hold to turn on at minimum brightness, hold to get brighter.

With toggle switches, as far as I can understand, flicking the switch will turn the lights off if on, and on if off. Dimming gets a little more complicated though.

I have a high Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) with the momentary switches.

Hi @John_Crighton

I’ve been testing out a single Fibaro 212 dimmer and it works fine standalone but I cannot find a reliable Device Type in Smartthings to control it with meaningful status feedback. I have an open ticket and an acknowledgement from ST Support that work is under way to address some recent Fibaro firmware updates.

Are you using a default device type or a community device type ? I have tried multiple without comprehensive success, Can you point me in the right direction ?

@hajar has recently developed by far the best device type for the Dimmer 2. I’m using this for a couple of mine and will switch the others as I change things. It should be easy to find, but I’ll post the link when I get a chance (just using the phone at the moment).

It allows customisation of all of the parameters available to the Dimmer 2, making it (imo) the best light switch solution for ST currently available.

Hi John

Tried his code but to no success. Dimmer itself works fine with manual switches but nothing I can do in the (android) mobile app seems to have any affect on it. I can use the Z-Wave multichannel device to get basic functionality but, for instance, the level slider works to alter the light level, but the ‘level’ parameter in ‘Current States’ on the ‘My Devices’ page does not correct itself to the actual dimmed level. Nor does the App update itself when the light is manually switched off using S1/Sx momentary connection.

I have been in touch with ST Support and am informed that there is a known issue with the latest Fibaro dimmer firmware (mine is very new) and they are intending to release a fix ‘shortly’ :confused:

I should probably try a complete clean install … :unamused: (again)

Any advice welcomed since you seem to have taken the prize of the largest number of installed Fibaros !

Well, that’s news to me, and the first I’ve heard of the issue. Mine are a minimum 6 months old, and all are set up momentary (as yours are by the sound of it).

The app updates in <1 second with brightness / on off changes.

It may be the case that a newer firmware has changes. It wouldn’t be the first time Fibaro have done something like that.