UK light solutions

ok, I gave you the wrong code for the device type, as I thought you had a light switch.

if you have this

try this one as your new device type:

So should I delete the existing SmartApp that I’ve published first? and then add this one? Will this work for WeMo insight as well? Its the same type of wall switch but has energy control on it?

How many different types of Wemo switch do you have?

I’ll put together a more complete answer for you once I know this

Just the 2 WeMo ones. One standard and one insight

http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7C029/p/P-F7C029/

OK, I suggest we go back to square one to avoid confusion.

1. Delete any WeMo SmartApps and WeMo Device handlers you have created.

2. in your IDE create a new SmartApp and use this code

1. After you create the SmartApp, make sure you Publish it (For me)

2. In your IDE go to the section titled “My Device Handlers” and click the button to create a new device handler. Select “From Code”, and then paste in the following code:

1. After you create the Device handler, make sure you Publish it (For me). As far as I can tell there is not a separate device handler for the WeMo Insight, so I hope the standard one will work.

2. Now you can go to your IOS phone, and look for the Wemo (Connect) SmartApp in Marketplace > SmartApps > My Apps.

3. Run that app, and follow its own instructions and lets see what happens !

Appreciate your help, and clear instructions for me!

Ok, done all that but it won’t find the WeMo Insight, Sure I read somewhere that WeMo insight was incompatible but the standard WeMo wall switch was?

Happy to help…it sounds like the standard wemo switch was found Ok?

There is a possible workaround for the insight…

At the following link there is some code developed by zzarbi

https://github.com/zzarbi/smartthings/tree/master/wemo

You will need to create one extra SmartApp, and one extra Device Handler, specifically for the insight switches.

The code titled “Connect” is the SmartApp and the code titled “Switch” is the Device Handler - make sure to get these the right way round in your IDE - add and publish both of these in the same way as you did before…but do not delete your original ones.

I have no idea if this code works, but it should be worth a try.

Wemo Switch and insight both discoverable and work OK for me on my V1 US hub being used in the UK.

Thanks did the insight one, published etc but doesn’t find it unfortunately. Not sure why. Do you have to set all your SmartApps to the “hone” location? I have rule machine and that seems to work?

thanks for trying anyway.

do you know how to use the logging in the IDE - maybe there will be some clue there.

You could look at the log entries that appear when you start the search by running the smartapp in your mobile app.

If I remember correctly I had to get it working in the Belkin app first

I don’t know how to use the logging sorry. It doesn’t even find the insight though in the SmartApp.

It’s working already in the WeMo app.

just to add to this thread. Just for the original op question. You can also use Osram Lightify bulbs which have been on sale for £15 recently. Also asda are selling TCP RGB bulbs which can be used with ST also

How much are the asda bulbs? Might be worth a trip.

http://groceries.asda.com/product/low-energy-led-bulbs/asda-led-standard-classicglsalamp-35w-es-coated-rgb-dim-w-remote/910001949624

Surely not these? If so then they’re a bit of a bargain at £10.

nope its not those they are bluetooth, i saw them last weekend for about £40 and took a look, they were a twin pack connected, cant see them on asda’s site, but theyt are listed on Homebase’s site but out of stock.

I haven’t bought them, and i dont have any experience of them with ST, but i have seen others connect TCP bulbs via ST, but i was borderline going to buy them, but i don’t need any more bulbs, every one in the house has been replaced but they looked to be a bargain

http://www.connectedbytcp.co.uk/products-1/

Yes, I currently have more e27 bulbs than I have lamps already. (couldn’t resist the amazon osram deal!)
Just need to find a good deal on smart gu10 bulbs as my house is predominantly of that type. Not seen anything reasonable yet either zigbee or z-wave.

I’m still finding my feet with ST (only had it about a week)

I have moved from X10.

My main requirement is lighting control - but the only lights I’m interested in controlling at the moment are plug in table/floor lamps (I rarely use my ceiling lights)

So plug in dimmers is what I’ve been looking for.

But I’m rapidly losing faith.
On the X10 system, I had to use halogen bulbs as there is a minimum load requirement.

However, having discovered a Z-wave plug in dimmer that supports LED (The POP Wall Dimmer) I bought a couple of these with the intention of converting to LED bulbs.

However, so far, not so good. The dimmers integrate with ST fine (well, after some tweaking) but I just cannot find LED bulbs that dim well. *They have a very narrow dimming range compared to halogen/incandescent bulbs) and they buzz - especially the brighter ones (I need 75W equivalents really)

So I’m basically really disappointed with the lack of energy efficient dimmable bulbs.

I guess perhaps I need to be looking at smartbulbs - but don’t know whether they will meet my demanding specs. They have to be bright, they must not buzz, and they have to have a good beam angle (A lot of my table lamps are frosted glass globe lamps - these need bulbs with a decent beam angle otherwise only the top of the shade illuminates!)

I was looking at the TCP Connected stuff - but notice they are only 60W equivalent bulbs.

With these smart bulb solutions that require the use of their own hub/bridge connected to the ST hub - how instantaneously do they react to commands?

I fear I won’t find a satisfactory solution.

yup, i bit the bullet and bought the philips hue GU10 bulbs…i’ve got 22 GU10 fittings and my wallet is still smarting from it.