Two Aeon alarms no longer working via SmartThings

I don’t know what the deal is. I am getting irritated at the erratic nature of device support.

I have two Aeon Labs alarms, the 5 Gen ones you support. No problem getting one to work, edited, etc. I just got a second. Both show in list of things. But when I go to test?

Well, I hit test on one and five minutes later it went off. Does this mean if we have an intruder, they’ll be in the house for five minutes before the alarm goes off?

And the second device, can’t do anything with it. I set the name, volume, and sound in the edit device, but your app keeps telling me I need to fill in all fields. All fields are filled in. And when I test it, nothing. Absolutely nothing.

A couple of days ago, our system was set to Away, because you showed all personal sensors leaving. No one had left. Then three minutes later, you show them back, but when they re-appeared, you set our system to Home and Unarmed. And it remained that way for the rest of the night.

Seriously, what is the problem? And no, it is not my wifi, or wireless. I have exceptionally good wifi and connectivity.

Update: I had to go into graphs… to edit the sound and volume–your app isn’t sending the data to the server. And the test still doesn’t work on the alarm.

For the first one, is it possible that the test mode works for only 5 minutes?

No, it didn’t “start” until five minutes had passed. The test operates instantly.

And the second alarm won’t work at all. I’ve tested it, and it works when pressing the button. But I can’t turn it on, I can’t test, and I had to edit using graphs.

I sent an email to support, but the last one I sent didn’t get any response.

5 minutes is excessive. It could have been a server glitch at the time. The problem is that ST is cloud based, so there is some lag, but should not be that much. I personally do not use ST for Security like this, but I do have camera’s all over the place to capture an intruder should that happen. Any break in’s when we are home are not going to end well for the intruder due to various reasons. If we are not here, we cannot stop them from breaking in, but they will certainly get some great pictures of them if this should happen.

Being that this is a cloud service, you will loose connection with power loss and or internet loss. So while you can counter this with batteries and cell service for internet connection it is hardly perfect. All avenues to protect can be worked around. So, instead of paying big money for a system, I have chosen to take pictures and video into the cloud so that we have info on what and who did what to the house. Also that system is self contained and runs on backup for up to 4 hours.

While I know that is not perfect, and will hardly capture all sides of the problem, it was the best that I can do with limited resources and with the idea that any alarm can be worked around. Of course, honestly putting a sign in front of the house that states it is protected might help, but it might also say that you have something to protect as well.

Then, bluntly, they should discourage alarms.

This doesn’t need to be cloud based. The Samsung SmartCam streams to the ST hub, doesn’t go to the cloud. If power is off, then of course, all bets are off. But this shouldn’t be cloud dependent. If the SmartCam isn’t, not sure why rest of it would be.

These are z-wave or zigbee signals, not wifi. None of it should be cloud-dependent. The cloud should act as interface, to ensure a shared UI among all devices, but direct action should come via z-wave or zigbee.

And now both alarms are showing as inactive.

There’s something seriously wrong with the ST hub.

I feel your pain. A lot of craziness at my house recently, too.

As far as WiFi, though, it helps to know that “very good WiFi” can mean a very bad SmartThings connection, as WiFi and Zigbee are in the same band and can interfere with each other, with Wi-Fi almost always winning.

I have A Wi-Fi booster at my house. If I put it on the west wall, all the smart things zigbee devices west of that fall off the network. If I put it on the north wall in the same room everything is fine.

That said, the fortrezz is a Zwave device so it wouldn’t be affected by Wi-Fi anyway. (Different band)

There are some standard things you can try, and this is the link to start reading about those.

But to be honest, the cloud has just been really flaky for the last couple of weeks, and my guess would be that it’s one of those “platform hiccups” that support mentions from time to time. Which are incredibly frustrating.

Support may be able to help, so it’s worth opening a ticket with them. Support@smartthings.com you should get it least a canned response, so check the email address and make sure you had two “t” 's in smart things.

I wish I had more specific help to offer.

1 Like

I appreciate the words, @JDRoberts . It’s better than shouting out into the void :wink:

The alarms are z-wave, so there should be no conflict. In fact, my Hue bulbs are working peachy (no, literally peachy at the moment), and they’re zigbee.

But what you’re saying about things being squirrely seems to be matching my experience the last few days. I know there was an App update. I wonder if that broke the alarms, because the one worked nicely before. Well, I had to edit at graphs…but that’s not a biggie.

I submitted a support request. Didn’t get a response last time, though. Hope I will this time, because both alarms aren’t working now.

Hey @JDRoberts, totally off-topic, but how do I re-boot the ST hub? I’ve searched in the topics, but I keep running into V1 stuff, and people talking about the web interface.

What web interface?

The web interface is the “IDE” (integrated development environment") which is available at the link to developer tools at the top of the page for community on the site. It let you see all your account details.

As far as rebooting the hub, easiest way is just to kill the power for 15 minutes. At least 15 minutes. Unplug it and take out the batteries. You have to do it for that long in order to force a resync with the cloud account you can’t just take the battery out for minute or so and put it back in.

Currently even the SmartCam Pro is sending data to the cloud. And while I agree that Alarms with ST are not currently a good option in my opinion. They do offer some limited protection in areas are that not critical. So the option is there for those who understand that it is far from perfect.

Eventually the goal with Hub V2 is to bring more control locally, however for ST this has proven to be more difficult largely (from what I understand) due to the cloud nature and the open nature of the environment. In order to use local devices and keep the code local, they have to build the drivers for the supported devices into the hub firmware and of course any SmartApps that control said devices. Sounds simple I know, but it is actually more complicated once again due to the open nature of the environment ST has created.

In this case, this sounds like ST may not be a good fit for you. Or at least using it as an alarm currently is not likely to be effective for your concerns.

I have to disagree with you on the SmartCam Pro sending data to the cloud. We know it’s not sending the video, as that caused some confusion once before and one of the engineers was kind enough to explain that the upload bandwidth is between the camera and the hub.

It is sending state information to the cloud, but actual control of the devices don’t need to be managed through the cloud. Not with z-wave and zigbee.

And it makes no sense not to have real-time handling. Why have a motion sensor, alarms, any of these devices, if ST can’t handle real-time? That makes no sense.

It could be that interfacing between the Android app and the device goes through the cloud. The Android devices aren’t z-wave or zigbee compatible.

But if I have an alarm set to go off if a motion sensor detects movement, that should all be handled via the z-wave and/or zigbee signals, not the cloud.

Not in SmartThings.

The hubs radio can communucate directly to the local device, but first it goes to the cloud to make sure it has permission to talk to that device from the cloud account. And the code that formats the messages that get sent also runs in the cloud.

It doesn’t have to be done that way, as staples connect demonstrates, but it is the way SmartThings does it for most events at the present time.

Ouch. That’s definitely an extra burden.

1 Like

It is managed through the Android App that goes through the cloud. Also, it uses Wi-Fi for it’s connection to your network not Zigbee or Z-wave. I am sure that you know that though, just wanted to be sure. While I know you can manage it locally, it appears to need a port open on the router in order for it to work. At least it did with my setup (SMILE). I have not sniffed it to see if it is actually communicating to a Samsung Server someplace so you may be correct that it is not cloud based at all.

But, we know if it is connected to ST, that ST certainly is cloud based so the point is moot. You could if you want build a server local to handle the video etc from the camera, and just have ST connect via URL or Similar for video and images. I think the Foscams do that already?

Sorry I thought you were aware of that fact? Sorry I failed to explain how ST works for you. Thanks @JDRoberts for making it clear

1 Like

@Shelley_Powers I am stumped here. I just tried the test mode as well as triggering the alarm and it was like instant (absolutely no delay). And I am talking not even a second. Not sure if this matters, iOS here.

Yup, aware that the Android app connects through Wifi, but thought the hub and devices basically spoke directly to each other without having to go directly to the cloud in each communication.

I know that the SmartCam is speaking directly to the hub, the Google OnHub router actually demonstrates this–the device has like 68 GB of uploaded data, but the router only shows something like 8 GB total, for 17 or so devices, actually making it through the router. One advantage to the OnHub router, being able to see this activity. And the ST engineers actually corroborated this in another thread here in the community.

I can see managing everything through the app, but once the pieces are in place, it makes more sense to have the hub speak directly to the devices. For instance, if a routine is set up so that motion in one room after a certain time triggers security, in the form of lights being turned on, and alarms firing. The setup would be through the app, of course, but once set up, other than the devices communicating their state, is the actual triggering handled through the cloud? Or through z-wave/zigbee? It doesn’t make sense to go to the cloud, first, especially in a security situation.

I imagine the developer code has all the info on this. I should check it out.

I don’t know what’s happening with my set up this week. I had no problems with the one alarm before today. And I haven’t been able to get the second working, so am assuming it may be defective. Hard to say, though.

Ron, me too. I had no problems last week with the one alarm, but today, it’s appalling. And I can’t get the second one to work.

I’m wondering if the two alarms are interfering with each other?