Tuya Temp and Humidity Sensors

I just recently purchased 2 of these that i have linked below to monitor the temps in my fridge and freezer (my fridge cut out on me and it was a real ordeal, so I thought I could get alerts when it gets too hot now). I’ve added the sensors and reassigned the handler to be a SmartSense Temp/Humidity sensor and they seems to work just fine, except they go offline regularly. I purchased these because a lot of folks said they never go offline. Does anyone else experience this and or know a fix?

https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/tuya-temperature-and-humidity-sensor/

@Vinlo,
You can look at IDE for sensor connection metrics and see how many failed messages out of the total messages sent to the sensor you have.
You can also see through which repeater devices it connects or if it does so directly with the hub.
Inside the refrigerator the radio frequency signals going in and out are quite attenuated.

With these data, you can start to analyze and look for other causes

I’ve looked, but sadly i am not further ahead than i was before. I am a pretty basic user and my knowledge base and understanding is so much that i understand the below.

• Last Hop LQI: 233
  • Last Hop RSSI: -80
  • Received Messages From Device: 1254
  • Received Messages From Device (Duplicates): 8
  • Messages Transmitted to Device: 207
  • Messages Transmitted to Device (Failures): 148
  • Updated Time: 2021-05-10 11:28 AM EDT

The updated time was about 1 hour ago, that’s all I understand.

Is low Signal level.

Have 148 Failures of the 207 (72%) due to bad signal connection.
It remains to be seen if sensor connects directly to the hub or through repeaters. That’s right above “Route”

Oh wow, thanks for the helpful reply. What would the solution be? Put a repeater behind the fridge? 72% failure is pretty bad!

I only have an AP and the smartthings hub, no repeaters anywhere in the house.

A Repeater can be a zigbee device, in this case, as socket, light bulb, light switch. Normally devices that are powered from the electrical network.
Don’t you have any installed?
you can see the path in IDE, like here

Thanks for all the help! The route just show from the device to the hub, nothing in between. I have other zigbee devices that are close to that area (only one is in my garage). All my devices are wifi based using connected services to interface with smartthings (unsure if that is the correct way to say it). I guess I’ll have to get a zigbee device and see if that helps things. You are saying purchasing any zigbee device would work as a repeater (but may not help the problem)?

If you put a device nearby, like a zigbee plug, it sure improves the connection.
Ikea plugs are recommended by several in the community, they are cheap and they work well.
If you live in the US, @JDRoberts can help you better with a device.
If you live in EUR there may be others, I have Lidl plugs that cost € 10 and they work well.
In other areas I don’t know much.

When you install the repeater device near the sensor, you have to force the new connection path, removing the power from the hub, before it required between 20 and 30 minutes of shutdown, and when you turn it on again, the connection mesh is rebuilt.
Since the last zigbee update of the hub to version 5.2.1, I have seen that turning off the hub for only 5 minutes the mesh is rebuilt.

Wow, great information there. Always a good day when i learn things. I am in canada, so I may go the ikea route or something from amazon - maybe @JDRoberts has a suggestion for cheap and effective :smiley:

So when I get to this I will install the new device and then disconnect the hub and let it rebuild the mesh? I assume all the devices should be connected then restarted?

1 Like

Yes, first you install the new device, check that it works and then turn off the hub, when you turn it on the devices will reconnect themselves and look for the best route.
If some device does not connect and shows offline after a while, try to force a offline device to send event, for example, heat or cool the temperature sensor, open or close a door, activate or deactivate the plug … This can help to connect.