Trying to make a "MOVIE TIME" action/automation with ST and Harmony

(D) #1

I have a harmony elite with hub. Before i got my SmartThings (ST), i had a Harmony activity called movie time that would switch the Samsung TV to PLEX, put the receiver on the right source and turn off the lights.

Now that i have an Amazon Echo and run all my lights with the ST, i have a “MOVIE LIGHTS” automation to leave on only the desired lights and dim them to my preference. But the problem is that now i cant ALSO have the Harmony activate the PLEX activity to switch the TV to PLEX and put the receiver on the right source.

Is there a way to combine the “MOVIE LIGHTS” automation from ST and “PLEX” activity from the Harmony in one Alexa command??

(Don) #2

You might get quicker results and more help if you had asked in this thread.

(Don) #3

I can’t answer this directly since I am just learning how to combine all these together. Thinking out loud could you have the plex automation trigger from your smarthings automation for the light?

If I understand the setup correctly there should be a button in your smartthings things list to trigger your plex automations. Possibly use that?

(D) #4

That’s what i need to check tonight. I don’t think i can see any of the Harmony activities from the ST app.

(Don) #5

Like I said I haven’t used or played with this much, hopefully this weekend. I remember seeing my activities like watch TV on my things list. I can’t look right now since Internet is having problems today.
I have never tried to start an activity this way. So not 100% sure how it works.

This link I posted explains how to link all 3 together.
I know this can be done, I’ve read it on the forums before.

I think you can also add lights to your harmony activity, just can’t tell you how or yes for sure.

(Sam G) #6

I have a similar automation…you have a couple of options. I would think easiest would be to have Alexa invoke an ST routine that covers all actions you need: Activate the switch for PLEX activity on Harmony & adjust lights according to your preference.

This assumes you already have Harmony linked in ST & have your Harmony activities listed as Switches.

(D) #7

I made it work. I had to use the Harmony to do most of the heavy lifting. So now the Harmony does all the lighting control and sets up the entertainment side. Works like a charm.