Triggering Alexa Routines with a Virtual Switch

I just cannot get this to work. Is anyone else having this problem? I’m trying to trigger a color change in my Sengled lights. Unfortunately the particular bulbs I bought (BR30 color changing) don’t appear to be supported by Smartthings, even though they have Smartthings compatibility listed on the box.

I’ve created a device through the IDE and absolutely cannot get it to trigger a routine in Alexa. The ST device is being recognized in the Alexa app and the Smartthings app, but no matter what I try (simulated switch, virtual switch, simulated contact sensor etc.) it isn’t an option for triggering a routine in Alexa. The only way I got it to show up as a trigger for a routine in Alexa is by calling it a “simulated lock” but then I can’t trigger any actions in Smartthings b/c it’s a lock. All of the posts on-line make it sound simple - just call it a simulated switch and it should work. But it doesn’t. Any thoughts?

Alexa routines can only be triggered from a sensor at this time. The sensor can be either virtual or physical. So most people looking for a virtual device will use a special DTH which shows up as both a sensor and a switch. That way when you turn on the switch the sensor looks like it opened, when you turn off the switch, the sensor looks like it closed.

This worked great right up through March 2020. Here is the FAQ on how to do it including the code you will need for the DTH:

FAQ: Can I trigger an Echo Action without Speaking to It?

However, in April 2020 this broke for many people when the new smart things skill was released. :disappointed_relieved: since then it has been on and off, working for some people, not working for others, coming and going. Discussion of all of that in the following thread:

New SmartThings Alexa skill (2020)

1 Like

Assuming these are Zigbee bulbs, they are indeed working with SmartThings. If these are WiFi, which I didn’t think they offered in a BR30, those may not fully yet.