TP Link Kasa Devices with new official integration (July 2019): reviews needed

In Australia the new Kasa KP-105(au) and KP-115(au) [power monitor] have just arrived and appear to work ok, although havent done much yet. They are much cheaper at about $25 and $29 and smaller, two fit side by side in a double outlet, which is better than any other compatable outlet I can get here.

Just purchased one KP115, but needed some work to get power consumption visible in Smartthings.

Main task for the KP115 is to check on power consumption of a ‘dumb’ stand fan, to check if it is still running and what speed.

Note that I already have two HS110 running very well with Gutheinz Smartapp integration, still using version 4.0.05. A piston in WebCore allows me to check both Laundry and Dryer cycle (transition of power consumption > 2.5W means start, when it drops below 1.5W it means end), to update a multi-color Ikea Tradfri lightbulb: Green for when either one is running, Blue for when laundry is done, Red for when drying is done, and every morning at 6:30am the light bulb is reset to Off to be ready for next day duty cycle. Not perfect, but meets the household requirements.

Back to the KP115, while it is recognized/supported through the official Kasa integration, it is only reported as a switch, without the energy monitor function. The Smartapp also reported it as an available device, and correctly lists it as a KP115, but then nothing is done to setup the device.

Based on the Smartapp code, I found the line for the HS110, and added a new line for KP115 as follows:

// Energy Monitor Plugs
tpLinkModel << [“HS110” : “TP-Link Smart Energy Monitor Plug”]
tpLinkModel << [“KP115” : “TP-Link Smart Energy Monitor Plug”]

After going through the setup in the Smartapp on phone, now the KP115 is reported as smart socket with energy monitoring!

Hope this helps in working with the KP115 in Smartthings.

3 Likes

Hi Ernie,

I have plugs using the official integration.

I got the new KP115. Do you recommend I add this Depracated Code in the SmartApps for KP115.

Any help to this newbie is appreciated.

Hi Amit,

Ideally we should push the official integration from TP-Link to support the Energy Monitoring (EM) function, as the box of the KP115 has the ‘works with Smartthings’ logo and there does not seem to be a disclaimer visible on the packaging itself about the lack of EM functionality when working with Smartthings.

I am using the ‘new’ Smartthings app on Android (but holding off on upgrading beyond the current 1.7.57.23). The SmartApp works very well, but I had to do some tweaks to get it to work (see my other post TP-LINK HS110 - Power usage for washing machine - #4 by ernie) and the user interface of the SmartApp does not look ‘right’, but it functions once figuring out where to press at each step.

Also note that I have both the SmartApp and the official TP-Link|Kasa Smart linked service connected, so I have a duplicate occurrence of the devices, but have parked the ones through the linked service in another room that is not on the Smartthings app main screen. It gives me a secondary way to get at least to the on/off switching part.

Not sure what the upcoming changes in the Smartthings platform are going to mean for my setup, so am holding off on investing additional time to investigate what I could do in terms of modifying the existing integration, or if a new device handler can be written that does not require the SmartApp.

Hope this helps a bit =)

Hrm, just bought a KP115 smart plug and thought I would be able to use it within Smartthings as well for Energy Monitoring, but looks like it still has not been implemented yet.

Hi Ernie,

I spotted this code “HS110” : “TP-Link Smart Energy Monitor Plug”'and added the one you mentioned in the smartapp. Before I place the order for the new KP115, am I right in understanding that, if I buy this and connect to smartthings, I will be able to write automations based on power consumption without implementing the device handler?

Thanks
Subbu

Ignore my previous message. I purchased KP115, figured out I need to do the changes mentioned by Ernie and have now made it work successfully with smartthings. In case, anyone wants me to explain, I am happy to do so

1 Like