TP Link Kasa Devices with new official integration (July 2019): reviews needed

Just purchased one KP115, but needed some work to get power consumption visible in Smartthings.

Main task for the KP115 is to check on power consumption of a ‘dumb’ stand fan, to check if it is still running and what speed.

Note that I already have two HS110 running very well with Gutheinz Smartapp integration, still using version 4.0.05. A piston in WebCore allows me to check both Laundry and Dryer cycle (transition of power consumption > 2.5W means start, when it drops below 1.5W it means end), to update a multi-color Ikea Tradfri lightbulb: Green for when either one is running, Blue for when laundry is done, Red for when drying is done, and every morning at 6:30am the light bulb is reset to Off to be ready for next day duty cycle. Not perfect, but meets the household requirements.

Back to the KP115, while it is recognized/supported through the official Kasa integration, it is only reported as a switch, without the energy monitor function. The Smartapp also reported it as an available device, and correctly lists it as a KP115, but then nothing is done to setup the device.

Based on the Smartapp code, I found the line for the HS110, and added a new line for KP115 as follows:

// Energy Monitor Plugs
tpLinkModel << [“HS110” : “TP-Link Smart Energy Monitor Plug”]
tpLinkModel << [“KP115” : “TP-Link Smart Energy Monitor Plug”]

After going through the setup in the Smartapp on phone, now the KP115 is reported as smart socket with energy monitoring!

Hope this helps in working with the KP115 in Smartthings.

3 Likes