Time based events failing?

DONE - ticket # 150990.

I’ll ask my neighbor what’s for dinner, LOL!

1 Like

Have them bring it over. After all, the door’s already unlocked! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Agreed, but it’s a lot of data to sift through. The only place I found it (totally by chance) was:

• My Hubs > List Events (all)

And BTW, this device does not now, nor did it ever, appear in my list of devices… either in the app or IDE.

In folklore and parapsychology, a poltergeist (German for “noisy ghost”) is a type of ghost or other supernatural being supposedly responsible for physical disturbances, such as loud noises and objects being moved or destroyed (ST Hubs in particular). Most accounts of poltergeists describe movement or levitation of objects, such as furniture and cutlery, or noises such as knocking on doors (with technological advances opening Smart Locks, turning on/off lights). Poltergeists are purportedly capable of pinching, biting, hitting and tripping people (@slagle) .

Poltergeists occupy numerous niches in cultural folklore, and have traditionally been described as troublesome spirits who haunt a particular person (@SBDOBRESCU, @Mr_Lucky ) instead of a specific location. Such alleged poltergeist manifestations have been reported in many cultures and countries including the United States specially the ST community."

6 Likes

Put this up on Wikipedia so I can have my 15 minutes of fame. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is “the” wiki edit i was about to post! :wink:

2 Likes

I have a somewhat repeatable poltergeist scenario if someone else can confirm. It requires two hubs under the same account. Shut down the power on one and you will start seeing totally bogus commands sent to the other. I wouldn’t doubt this is related to the current poltergeist and if SmratThings can cure this they can cure the more general issue.

At present I don’t have ready access to my other hub, unfortunately.

I have two locations and two hubs on one account also. Unfortunately like you one is my parents remote/empty house and current I am not really willing to shut one hub off and fubar myself if this is really happening. I did go thorugh the events for both hubs for the last few hours and don’t see any crossed events.

The two routines that have recently stopped being reliable for me are my own “Just after sunset” and the pre-existing “Good Night” routine.

The first routine is set to run 15 minutes after sunset and it has not run a few times in the last few weeks.
The second routine is set to run at 11:45pm every night and that has failed to run several times in the last few weeks. I use the app an manually run it when I notice - that works fine.

Most of my other routines seem to still be very reliable, but they are harder to notice if they don’t run. When I look the Notifications in my app, it has nothing at the expected times.

The only SmartApp that I have installed is “Lock Code Manager” from ethayer.
This is a v2 hub that I restarted by removing batteries and power - this did not help.

I posted a while back… restart will not help schedules that are screwed up…

I had this issue before and fixed it by deleting the routine and re-creating it. Tedious I know but at least it works.

I deleted one routine and re-added it with different times three times this weeks. It still failed this morning. :confounded:

@JDRoberts due to your knowledge and over willingness and much appreciated tendency of helping others, I am sure that you are the prime target of the poltergeist. Exercise caution and ask your house mates to have a baseball bat ready! :wink: I am lucky just being a happy go lucky guy!

1 Like

bummer… I guess I can count myself lucky I only had to delete two routines and re-add and have been good… I did disable the 4 cameras on my hub… wonder if they were overloading the hub streaming video to it and it missed events… probably just a coincidence however.

iVE Also added backup rules… for instance I have lights set to come on at sunset -30 I also added routines to turn them on and dim later… based on fixed time… This way by 10 they should be on regardless even if the sunset one fails.

We are at 333 posts (half the demon), whoever posts the 666, we will know who it is! So please keep it coming.

3 Likes

Just to add that I too have random scheduling problems with SmartApps : they randomly break down / hang-up, and although the ST platform instability is the most likely suspect, I am most of the time never sure after the fact of the actual cause.
On average, every periodic SmartApp breaks down about once every month.
I have to reinstall them cleanly (Uninstall+Save+Publish for me+Install) to reactivate them.

My periodic SmartApps use runIn() for re-scheduling from one activation to the next.
ST support suggested that runEvery1Hour() only once at installation may provide more stable behavior, but they did not seem 100% sure of that.
YMMV…

Routines didn’t fire when they were supposed to. I went through and edited every single event and re-saved it… after yet another long reboot so I’ll report back. The first round of events this morning which were having issues seemed to work today, so fingers crossed.

1 Like

I am 12 hours in without an incident, here is how I am avoiding my poltergeist. Don’t know what it is, but at least I know how to avoid his presence.

Count me as a victim of this new strain of SSDS. I had my whole system nice and stable and thought I was living in the future. Now I am taken back to my early computing days where I would walk in my office and wonder what crashed over night. Scheduling is pretty much a core function of a smart home akin to “posting” or “viewing” for a message board app. If scheduling does not work, then essentially the application does not work. At least in my organization this would be considered a severity 1 trouble ticket with round the clock focus on getting it fixed. I don’t see much evidence of this.

I hope the folks at Samsung (notice I didn’t say SmartThings) understand that these are the sort of issues that kill a platform. These last week has DESTROYED the Wife Acceptance Factor in my house. Besides for almost none of our schedule routines working properly, we had a false alarm “Water in the powder room” wake us up at 2 am, for nothing. The system is a joke to her now. It’s a cause for friction for our family. I am tired of making excuses and hoping things will get better. With the resources behind this product, it is not an impossible problem to solve. Its time someone is held accountable and its time we see a real plan to fix these problems with a timeline. I have not even opened a ticket as I have seen on the forums support is so overwhelmed they cannot even respond.

5 Likes

For those having time based SmartApps/Routines failing, check and see if the “Next Run Time” is set in the past for that event.

Web API >>> “My Locations” >>> “List Smart Apps” and view each time based smart app/routine.

In each one, I had to open up the smart app on my phone and select done to re-initialize it and the “Next Run Time” was then set to a time in the future.

3 Likes