Thinking outside the box of home security

Again, not a problem for me as I am on a V1 hub. Can’t think of the last time (or seen in the logs) where the hub was offline for more than a minute. And when that rarely happens the delay is less that 20 seconds.

If your Smartthings system is working great for you then that is fantastic but mine isn’t reliable enough for me. I went to visit a family member that lives about 20 minutes from my home and I have ST set up to notify me when I have left my geofence area. After ariving and being there about 10 to 20 minutes I finally got the message that I had left the house. I also have ST set up to notify me when my wife arrives within the geofence area. Often she is already home 10 to 15 minutes before I get the notification. Many times I have left the house only to find ST so slow in arming that I could not arm it. I have also arrived home, disarmed the system only to have sirens go off, lights turn on and intrusion alerts.
Face it, there is no perfect system. If you leave your valuables at home no alarm system will prevent them from being stolen. Your power and internet connections can be cut thus rendering your system useless. That is why I chose a purely cellular Alarm System with battery backup that I can hide from intruders.
The key here video surveillance, Having both wired and battery operated cameras, some visible and some hidden will give you a better chance of identifying the crooks after the crime.

1 Like

That’s great. You have backup power and a cellular connection like I do. I agree that it is a very wise thing to do when it comes to security systems. Now all that needs to improve for the traditional security systems is to reduce false alarms and react much quicker

Edited:

I have several hardwired security cameras (all battery backed up) that provide full coverage of all outside areas. I run 4K cameras so clarity isn’t a problem. Camera are positioned that no one can be disabled without being in view of other cameras.

While most of your statements regarding traditional home security systems are true, I personally have Simplisafe (which is based on an old model with newer technologies) more for fire department notification in the event a CO/Smoke Alarm is detected which can perhaps save a human or our dog’s life. I think my cameras that I bought from Costco provide more security protection than Simplisafe.

2 Likes

Having been the victim of a home burglary, I take this subject very seriously. My wife almost walked in on the burglars coming home from work on a dark winters evening. Fortunately, the thieves were only looking for the usual high value items and not interested in identity theft as there were plenty of those items they could have taken. I learned a lot due this burglary.
Leave your important papers and jewelry in a bank safety deposit box. Shred all unnecessary .papers you get in the mail. Find other places to store your other valuables and make a good plan for your home security.
Burglars are very smart and there may be nothing you can do to prevent items from being stolen, but without some good evidence the police can use, such as video clips, your case will be forgotten as soon as the police leave. Speedy notifications of an intrusion may help the police catch the crooks on your property, but don’t stake your life on it.
Thieves can disable your security system once they are in your home if they have the time, but hopefully you already have evidence before that happens.
Lastly, think like a burglar when making your security plan. Try to prevent the burglary from happening before they intrude into your house. Try to delay them by having nothing valuable that they can find so that they stay longer than they originally planned. Have a variety of systems that duplicate or compliment each other.

2 Likes

There is another recent thread similar in some ways to this one.

1 Like

@an39511 -

“I have several hardwired security cameras (all battery backed up) that provide full coverage of all outside areas. I run 4K cameras so clarity isn’t a problem. Camera are positioned that no one can be disabled without being in view of other cameras.”

This is the last part of my security that I am working on. Would you mind telling what the cameras you are using are? I have been looking at this company: http://www.security-camera-warehouse.com/?gclid=CJTXgcf80M8CFUk8gQod3oAEeA

Thanks

I find it cheaper just to live in 40 year old mobile home with a trashy yard. A burgler looks at my place and says “I ain’t got no time for that sh*t hole”

4 Likes

I run several IPC4K11 hardwired cameras all connected using POE. All the cameras and the NVR are all UPS backed up.
Because these are IP cameras they all work independently but I use Genius vision NVR to store all the recordings.

There is an app in the Marketplace “other” category called Door Knocker. Smartthings Multis can detect acceleration. If I try to open my door and it is actually locked, this sensor sends me a message. It works quite well.
I don’t trust Smartthings as my home alarm but I use it as a backup that is far more sensitive than the professional alarm. Besides the occasional false alarm, it actually works quite well.
Thanks to the DigitalLife connection through Homecloud and the integration by @ady624 I am actually also using the sensors from my professional alarm in SmartThings.

This is another good point. I use Simplisafe as my professional primary alarm system and ST as my backup. It’s good to have defense in depth. Besides that, I also have a hardwired Swann camera system along with a Ring doorbell. I’d say that I am comfortable with my home security because of the many different technologies I am using.

I don’t think anyone is “picking at it”, more pointing out issues that could be pottential flaws - which is really what should be done with any security system to highlight possible oversights.

The only way any system will prove itself, is when a real life scenario occurs - which should hopefully be never. As I said, the best thing any security system can do is deter thieves so they walk on by. I would guess that your cameras are doing just that. Why bother even attempting a house that has security like that, when they could just go to a neighbour that doesn’t have any.

In the past, it used to be an alarm box was a deterent because they were loud and noisy and neighbours looked out for one another. Now they are common and nobody bothers to look if they hear an alarm going off. Today its all about being caught after the event, and thats where cameras come in. Camareas and flood lights are now doing what alarm boxes did in the 1970s.

I had originally ordered AT&T Digital Life but it turned out, (at that time), that it was a hard wired system and the installer was going to cut holes in my walls and run cables through my attic so I decided to send the system back. While I was searching for a different alarm system is when the burglary occurred. I initially purchased Smartthings and loved it, but then it started acting up, had too many false alarms and very slow notifications and arm/disarm times so I decided to purchase a professional 24/7 monitored security system.There are also many times in my travels that I do not get a phone signal, (such as when I am in the mountains or at the hospital, etc.) so relying solely on ST and my cell phone are simply not enough. Flase Alarms to police can become very expensive,
I went with Frontpoint which I cannot say enough good things about. My wife thinks I am crazy as we no longer keep anything of significant value at home, but I am determined to try to identify and hopefully catch future burglars. After a lot of study and doing all the things to “harden” my home I came to the conclusion that tit would be impossible to prevent the thieves from coming into the home but unlike last time I will have evidence for the police and a much quicker notification that an intrusion has occurred,

@redball

In the past, it used to be an alarm box was a deterent because they were loud and noisy and neighbours looked out for one another. Now they are common and nobody bothers to look if they hear an alarm going off. Today its all about being caught after the event, and thats where cameras come in. Camareas and flood lights are now doing what alarm boxes did in the 1970s.

I agree 100%

It is sad this doesn’t happen much any more, unless it’s a time of severe strife for everyone. Partly to blame because you just can’t trust alot of people nowadays.

I’m doing the same. My ST sees all 15+ sensors I have with AT&T and I even use them to turn lights on/off etc. :slight_smile:

A burglary is basically what led me here. Ultimately, no alarm or lock or anything can provide complete protection. However, I went for 20+ years without ever having dealt with a break-in before.

In my experience, the best thing you can do is discourage break-ins. You can’t create a perfect system. There’s always going to be a way around, through or in.

You have to think like a thief and assess your risk level. I don’t own raw diamonds. I have normal stuff in a normal house. I travel sometimes. I sleep at my girlfriends sometimes (which I was doing when the house got robbed).

All I wanted was a system that would discourage anyone from assuming this would be an easy break-in. Motion lights outside. A system to randomize lights in the house. And if someone did say, I guess I’ll see what happens if I force open this door - noise. And lights. Every light in the house. ST does that for me. In addition, I get a text and a notification. As does my girlfriend, who is my backup when I’m flying. On top of that, I have cameras recording to the cloud to verify an intrusion and provide to police, if needed.

Your average burglar isn’t going to cut your internet line or wait for an outage. Or break-in and wrap up in 15 minutes. My burglar spent hours in my home. Because it was obvious no one was there except a cat - who didn’t raise a paw to stop anything, the little bastard.

So, basically ST is doing what my cat would do if he had any sense of loyalty and could operate a smartphone.

3 Likes

I’m betting it was an inside job… and the cat was behind it all.

5 Likes

lol I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s a cat, after all. Zero loyalty. Pure evil.

5 Likes

My dog, on the other hand, would’ve been opening doors and helping the burglars carry things out to the car. He has real tasks to do, but guard dog isn’t one of them. :wink::dog:

5 Likes