Thermostat for UK

Just want to add that Tado, just like Hive and Nest are custom integrations. Honeywell will be official soon and the custom also already exists, so I would not discount this system just because the official integration isn’t launched yet as the others aren’t also.

Hi Wayne,

Do you know how soon, soon is? It’s said coming soon for quite a long time now but there’s not been much by way of an update for it I don’t think?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

2 Likes

okay okay :sweat_smile:… I don’t know how soon, soon is. But as least there is a “soon” for this thermostat!

@a4refillpad @harry17 i do like the honeywell but it extremely expensive for multizone, Tado is nearly half the cost for the same functionality thats why i cant in good conscience recommend the Honeywell unless money is no object.

but as for sticking with it because it may be an official integration soon…what toff,IMHO the guys like me who have authored device handlers here do a far superior job integrating these products with ST because they care about it themselves for personal use. and are usually far more responsive when adding features requested etc…

1 Like

I don’t disagree. I was just pointing out the Honeywell was discounted from the running because it didn’t have official integration yet. Community integrations are great.

Yet the promotional material clearly states “works with SmartThings - Honeywell”

I suppose you could say that about any product just the words official/support are missing.

Word of caution. Tado support seems to be struggling as is their order fulfilment. They recently launched a new hub and TRVs and I think they’ve been overwhelmed with demand and /or issues.

Two recent support tickets to them have taken about a week (with an automated sorry message in between) to receive a response and my TRV order was lost in the system while I’ve been told the new hub will ship when it ships but no ETA and do not discuss with support (quite a hostile generic email they sent to preorder customers). This is in stark contrast to the excellent support I received when I first installed their multi-zone setup a year ago.

I rent the hardware and right now I’m not entirely sure I’ll renew.

I use the Nest. Works well for me.

I am aware that they are having some issues with the supply chain at the moment. However I have not had issues with support as of yet. I was just in touch with them yesterday regarding the setup of a second heating thermostat and was sorted within 1 hour of logging the ticket.

I have also recently had a failure of my heating thermostat after 2 years and it was outside of the warranty period and they replaced no questions asked which I though was spot on and they worked with me on a Sunday to set it up as I was working away that week. I would definately say your bad experience with support is not the usual. I personally have had nothing but stellar service

Thanks. That’s actually quite reassuring to hear. I do think it’s great product so perhaps a little patience (as a ST user you have to go good at that - sorry couldn’t resist). Hopefully my experience will improve again over time. As I said recent issues have not been indicative of past performance, so fingers crossed.

Related to stats… please help push Heatmiser Neo stats integration with SmartThings by voting here: http://support.heatmiser.com/i26-integration-with-smartthings

1 Like

To control the heating in my home I need Wireless TRV’s, so the 2 solutions seem to be Honeywell Echohome and Tado.

I have 8 radiators in my home, so Honeywell seems to come in cheaper than Tado.

There’s also the cheapest solution in the energenie mihome range.

Does that work with the Amazon Echo?

EDIT: Seems the TRV’s don’t work (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Energenie-Mi-Home/dp/B01M1GE8CF/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-skills&ie=UTF8&qid=1481282226&sr=1-1&keywords=energenie)

Evohome gives you more than just control.

For me the biggest thing is comfort. Radiators that are warm, rather than either hot or cold. And just warm enough to hold the room at the target temp, rather than cycling around a setpoint.

I find this makes a HUGE difference.

To completely kit out my home, this is the ideal product for me:

https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywell-evohome-connected-value-packs/77-honeywell-evohome-wi-fi-connected-value-pack-b.html

Richard, who runs Evohome Shop really knows his stuff, so it’s a great place to buy. Also check out the Heating Control forum at automatedhome.co.uk where lots of us evohome users (and abusers) hang out.

Ditto nest and st works fine. Control nest from Alexa via st (not Alexa skill). Looking at trvs and nest now too

I have Hive installed and integrated with info from the link [RELEASE] - Hive (Connect) V2.6 (British Gas Hive)

It works perfectly for me.

I manged to control the heating with CoRE rules based on my fitted sensors, and ST controls a TRV, effectively creating a separate heating zone.

Either Amazon Alexa, or Google Home is my next project.