Tapo matter over Wi-Fi colour bulb (UK)

Anyone tried these with SmartThings yet?
Im thinking they will come in twice (once via matter, once via cloud integration)

Price is not bad and I like that it’s over 1000 lumens rather than the usual 806.

Googling I didn’t find any reviews of this model so perhaps it’s quite new.

Govee also doing a colour Wi-Fi bulb of over 1000 lumens too, has good reviews, but it’s not matter so that puts me off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tapo-LED-Multicolours-Monitoring-Colour-Changeable/dp/B0CKPMNYBV

Wiz has nice A21, 1600 lumens, color bulbs that are Matter over WiFi. I have 2 and they work well. Being A21 they are big and might not fit in all fixtures.

No specific fingerprints for Tapo devices in the matter-switch driver, so you may only get generic support such as on/off and dimmable depending on the deviceTypes provided by the device. For example, here are the deviceTypes needed for an on/off, dimmable, color changing device:

- id: "matter/colorTemperature/light/2"
    deviceLabel: Matter Color Temperature Light
    deviceTypes:
      - id: 0x0100 # OnOff Light
      - id: 0x0101 # Dimmable Light
      - id: 0x010C # Color Temperature Light
 deviceProfileName: light-level-colorTemperature

And you don’t necessarily need to do the cloud->cloud integration if you are going to commission the device for Matter.

I know you don’t necessarily need it but I do as I have other Tapo devices which are not matter :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’d be v disappointed if I bought a colour matter bulb and couldn’t change the colour in SmartThings :person_shrugging:

I have looked at these, probably too bulky for my light fittings and maybe brighter than needed (for 4 lamps in a room). I currently have ikea 1000 lumen cool/warm bulbs which are fine, but I’d like colour if possible.

1 Like

With Matter over WiFi devices there is no need to add them to their native app, so that could eliminate the duplicates caused by your existing c2c integration.

1 Like

Well, that’s sorta the state of things at the moment. For example, the ThirdReality Matter over Wi-Fi nightlight is supposed to be color changeable, but it’s not in ST. I think others have said it is in Alexa.

2 Likes

I still wish there was away to fix this. I control the color with Alexa and a virtual switch.

1 Like

You’ll probably want to add them to native app to get firmware updates though.

Should be able to get updates via ST since it’s a Matter over Wi-Fi device. My Tapo mini-plug has firmware update commands.

1 Like

Excellent, I have tapo mini plug too but need to keep cloud integration for it for a different reason though. The power monitoring doesn’t work through matter but does through cloud integration. I hope that changes :crossed_fingers:t3:

Perhaps once there is a standard way to do that. Only Eve supports it right now and it’s a private arrangement as mentioned here.

1 Like