Switch for hot water heater?

I am interested as well to see how this goes. I have a double pole 30amp breaker and hopefully one of the suggested products will work.

I ended up going with the Intermatic model. Pretty clean install, though I could only find two of them in the entire internet. (homeseer.com may have one left!)

So far looks to be working well. I do have a pretty strong mesh extending into my garage, which might help, although it wasn’t recognized immediately. After searching for a while, I just went to my list of things and it was there. Had that happen a few times with zwave devices - couldn’t find it in a search but then it was there in the list.

Starting out with a simple schedule for now. Eventually more advanced automations - I’d like to pair it with my thermostat to keep the water heater and heat pump from running simultaneously if possible (to avoid high demand charges from our utility). May also try some seasonal scheduling, since we very rarely need hot water from June-October in Phoenix.

1 Like

I’m currently looking at this model, I was interested in the Intermatic model but as @Nhaley mentioned they are in scarce supply. Also I have some Amazon credit I need to use :slight_smile: Anyone have any experience with this model? It looks like its supported by smartthings and meets the specs, so I am likely ordering one soon.

I think it is the intermatic internals, with an improved antenna. Provided you have even a fair mesh network wherever you plan on putting it, you’ll do fine.

There is a newer model of the 40A GE switch now. Zwave plus. This is popular for outdoor installations because it comes in its own weatherproof case. Expensive, though.

https://ezzwave.com/ge-z-wave-plus-direct-wire-indooroutdoor-smart-switch-40a