Suggestions for a battery powered toggle wall switch

Remember the context. The article is talking about lighting systems. Not all DC applications. In the US, a ground is required for DC lighting circuits but only where you string the wires. That’s what the article is talking about. See Maxfield solar’s reply in the following discussion, they go into detail on this NEC code requirement.

I’m sorry, but I think we are getting our terms confused. In a high voltage AC circuit, you have hot, neutral and ground. In this context, ground means “earth”.

If, when you say “low-voltage” you are referring to low voltage AC wiring, like thermostats or doorbells, there is no requirement that these circuits contain a ground. Think of your doorbell…does it have a ground? No. It has a positive and a neutral. You could ground these circuits if your wanted to. But as I understand it, as long as they don’t cross over with any high voltage circuits, then there is no need to ground them.

If, when you say “low voltage” you are referring to a low-voltage DC circuit, you only have two poles. Positive and negative. The negative is also referred to as a ground. In a DC circuit, you have to have any device connected to both positive and negative poles, otherwise the device will not work. Think about a flashlight. If you only connect the positive side of the battery, the flashlight won’t turn on. So, you have to connect the flashlight to the negative (or ground) as well. This does not mean that DC circuits need to be connected to earth. That wouldn’t make any sense at all.

That is not an accurate statement. There is a ground required for the DC lights to work…because they have to hook to the negative pole of the DC power supply. They do not have to be connected to earth, like an AC is grounded. The DC Power supply should be grounded…but I don’t think that’s what you’re referring to. For example, if you ran low voltage DC for LED lights, you would not have to run 3 wires to those light fixtures. Only two, positive and negative.

I installed the ecolink switch today and verified there are only 2 wires to the old switch.

Adding a neutral would be a chore. The ecolink works great. Thanks to @JDRoberts for the recommendation.

1 Like