Suggest a Device

It sure does, but the solution is all outside of ST. Right not I have IF opening the door when I arrive home.

It would be WAY better if I could leverage the incredibly clever ST logic that already is set up to manage doors based on their current state - IE close if it it’s open. It would instantly give you the most intelligent garage door ever: Open when you arrive, close when you’ve been gone for too long, etc.

The purpose built garage door openers are dead simple and work natively.

Cheaper.

UL tested.

1 Like

Sure, but the point is that SmartThings has an IFTTT channel as well.

So you use all the ST logic you want inside ST. It’s just that for the last step instead of communicating directly with the WeMo maker, you turn on a virtual switch. You use that switch going on as the IF for IFTTT and the WeMo Maker as the THAT and they’re linked.

If, as I personally would suggest, you get the purpose built garage door controller off the official “works with” list (manufactured by Nortek, but sold under several different brand names including Linear, gocontrol, and one of the Nutone models)

http://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products

You could still use the same method to connect to your WeMo maker for other purposes. Actually, use the same method to connect to pretty much anything that has an IFTTT channel–it’s one of the very powerful open platform features of SmartThings. :sunglasses:

I submitted a similar idea to quirky but they didn’t like it.

Most likely because it wouldn’t meet UL listing requirements for garage door controllers, and without the UL listing Home Depot won’t carry it.

The garage door control on the official " works with SmartThings," the Linear GD00z is UL listed and, as @codytruscott says, works well. As does the Tellguard ( also UL listed.).

Ohh no, I got the wrong thing? What purpose built opener works well? I can repurpose the maker for loads of other things.

Ahh thanks heaps - I don’t know about virtual switches, I can just see in IFTTT that inhale bunch of predefined triggers from ST.
Thanks! I’m off to learn about virtual triggers.

I mean for the light switch cover.

1 Like

I would echo what others are saying re: add Chamberlain MyQ. Also, Dropcam/Nest camera and Honeywell internet capable thermostats beyond the one already on the list.

1 Like

ANY duplex receptacle with added USB charging ports

Would love to see the following devices available to connect to using SmartThings:

1. Pentair ScreenLogic, which is used to control pool equipment.

2. Nest.

3. Liftmaster MyQ.

4. Foscam cameras.

1 Like

Salus 500ITBM Thermostat

Here’s a z-wave sliding patio door lock:

Scott, I installed Jason Mok’s rewrite of this. Seems pretty solid.

Would be nice to have one smart things hub to control everything and an excellent app interface to control it all, but there is way too little choice of compatible devices here. IMHO all companies are so busy trying to carve out their own proprietary IOT niche they will doom home automation to a failed niche market unless they buck up their ideas.

Very obviously you need to provide integration/compatibility with…

1. LightwaveRF which seems to be the dominant option for home lighting automation in the UK at present because nobody else seems to have their range of lights switches and relays available.

2. NEST

3. If This Then That

4. THREAD which I see Samsung is a member of.

5. DNLA

contacted Angee customer support and asked for them to allow integration through zwave or zigbee. they said they have an open API so technically i believe someone, way smarter than i could integrate Angee within our ST systems. Anyone up for the challenge? I would do it if i knew how…

Can’t integrate with something that doesn’t exist yet. This device doesn’t even have certification yet, and isn’t scheduled to ship until April 2016 (a date it’s likely to miss most such projects do.)

The promise of an open API is great, and definitely someone can take a crack at it once they have their certifications and the APIs published. But honestly, there’s no point in spending programming time now on something where it’s the details that will matter, and those details are inevitably going to change over the next six months.

So give it time. If they truly publish an open API once they get their certifications, which typically is a good six weeks before launch at least, there should be plenty of time to get it working with SmartThings if it’s possible.

1 Like

Hikvision cameras and NVR. I have 3 Hikvision cameras on the outside of my house and would love to be able to integrate to my STv2 hub. I have 2 d-link cameras indoors, which were specifically bought for their ST compatibility, I’d just be stoked to have all cameras available through ST!

1 Like

I don’t think there are any z-wave or zigbee examples of this

These will likely be coming in 2016 because many of the HomeKit receptacles are going to be of this type. Right now though, I don’t think there are any that are compatible with SmartThings.

Jasco just certified a new zwave plug-in that includes a USB port, but it’s not even available for sale yet. But they’re definitely coming.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1421

Jasco also just certified three or four new plug-ins for the same line that have 2 z wave controllable outlets in each unit pinstead of 1 zwave outlet and one nonnetworked passthrough. This is another feature that people have wanted for years. Zwave plus makes possible somewhat smaller chips which is helping with this, but there’s no question HomeKit design is also driving it.

Again, not for sale yet, but this is probably the GE line, they should be coming soon.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1400