ST Multipurpose Sensor & Arlo Siren (long delay after trigger)

I am new to the world of smart home devices.

I have the Arlo Pro camera system and the SmartThings v3 hub. I also use Amazon Alexa devices. I have the system set up so that the ST Multipurpose Sensors are on my exterior doors. I’ve linked them up so that if a door is opened my Alexa tells me “front door opened” and a lamp in my bedroom is turned on. Then at night I “arm/stay” through the SmartThings app and this links the Multipurpose sensors to the Arlo siren.

Alexa alerting me to a door being opened and lamp turning on is virtually instantaneous. But the siren part from Arlo has a very long delay (like 1 minute or more). Is the a reason for this long delay? Am I better off using another siren device?

Just to help with context are you using Smar Home Monitor or something else to be in arm/stay

The Arlo used cloud to cloud integration so some delay could be expected. Av minute seems like a bit much though.

When you turn on the siren from the ST device detail screen for the siren, how long does it take to sound? Also, when you activate the siren from the Arlo Native App, how long does it take to sound?

1 Like

Yes I am using the Smart Home Monitor feature on the SmartThings app.

When I active the siren from the ST device detail screen it sounds the alarm instantly. I’ve search the Arlo app and can’t seem to find a place to test the siren.

Open the app to where you see your cameras and then swipe down. there should be a option to turn on the siren manually from their.

Are you using the Smartthings app (formally called Connect) or are you using the Smartthings Classic App. They each have their own version of SHM. The new version has a delay option. Did you set that up.

I’ve been reading multiple threads here in this community forum (@Mavrrick58, kudos to you for adding so much to the community) as I am new and can’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for.
I just bought Smartthings hub v3, downloaded the new Smartthings app, and just bought Arlo Pro 2 (base vmb4500r2 and two cameras). I am attempting to use ST multipurpose sensors to trigger the siren - after a 15 second delay that would allow me to turn off in case it was me that triggered the automation- in the Arlo Pro base if a door/window is open. However, only the cameras show up in the ST app. Am I missing something? Also, I would like to be able to arm/disarm the system via Google Home/Assistant, as well as only have the sensors go off if triggered by the ST multipurpose sensor during a scheduled window (aka at night).
Please help! :cry:

@SkippyOE

Your last post has allot of asks so i will try to cover as many as I can.

1. The Arlo siren comes as part of the VMB4000 and VMB4500. I know the VMB4000 is presented to Smartthings as a device, but never validated for the newer hub. You should go validate that your arlo integration shows the hub as a device integrated integrated with Smartthings. It should list the cameras and the hub. If it doesn’t then Arlo is not allowing that hub to be presented to Smartthings.

You may want to look at Arlo Assistant to help with the control aspect of the Cameras. It will give you various methods to detemine when the alarm is active and what to do in Smartthings when events occur.

@Mavrrick58,
Thanks so much for the quick reply and thank you so much for your help!
I don’t see the hub device in my Smartthings, so I’m thinking it is not integrated properly. I’ve attempted to integrate it but when selecting Arlo devices to integrate, it is not listed. How do I verify this though, and would you know how I would correct this?
Thanks again, Mavrrick.

What is presented to Smartthings by arlo is controlled by Arlo. If that hub is not avaliable to show to Smartthings the only way for it to show up would be for arlo to allow it. I know the VMB4000 hub works with Smartthings, but i have never tested the VMB4500 for this specific thing. Though i dont think it would make sense for Arlo to not allow it, they could prevent it from happening if they wanted to.

Unfortunately until they allow it there is not much that can be done.

Only suggestion i can give is to completely redo the Arlo integration. When you do that make sure you select all the devices available.

I am having the same issue with the VMB4500r2. The siren does not show up as a device. I have contacted Arlo support through email, we will see what they say. If I can’t activate the siren through Smartthings it is not much use to me. Hopefully Arlo fixes this problem.