ST Enabled floor heating thermostat solution?

Actually if you buy a electronic converter it is a small box and can handle up to 1500w. I bought one locally for 30 bucks and it works great. It’s portable so you can stick it under the floor or in a wall. Not sure about code violations, don’t know much about it but don’t see why it would be a code violation. It has a safety trip switch built into it for overload scenarios.

@Navat604 i did some digging into a setup like what you are suggesting. a dumb tstat non progamable would take my floor sensor temp but i am not sure how to pass that information the stelpro. without the sensor info going to a brain there wouldnt be much of a need past the single programming.

@RBoy i emailed HeatIt in regards to a 110v US version and they said at this point it is not on their horizon at all. He said he would think about it and get back to me in a couple months. He stated the reason he does not want to build one is because the US code requires an RCD built in and there is no room on the current board for it. RCD - residual current discharge sounds like the system built-in to our GFCI outlets. i am not sure id want something without GFCI in a bathroom. I frequently have water on the tiles due to our shower not having a door (by design). But i did find the little controllers you spoke about and they would do the job nicely.

1 Like

I wonder if you can plug it the system into a GFCI outlet?

The dumb thermostat is just for protection and when it comes to in floor electric heating. You do need overheat (not overload) and GFCI protection. This is to prevent damage to your heater wires. Not sure if you know but most in floor electric heating is for supplement heat and not for whole room heat like liquid radiant heater. So if this is the only heater you are using for heating that area. I highly recommend you have that protection.
The Stelpro will be using ambient temp for controlling you heater so there is no communication between the two.

1 Like

I describe mine not as what I would call warm or hot but, rather, foot temperature. Just a bit of cozy warmth. Much better than stepping onto cold tile.

1 Like

I believe the Schulter limits you to 82 F max. So not going to crank out alot of heat.

I think that’s what the manual said when I set mine up. It would never heat the bathroom it’s in. Not really what it’s designed to do.

2 Likes

What about this NuHeat Wifi Radiant Floor Controller? Someone would have to create a DTH for it, then would solve the ST issue.

With the price of that thermostat. I think you are better off with sinope in floor thermostat and the gateway but of course that’s an option to consider if someone could integrate it with ST.

@Navat604 I use the floor heater to only keep tile warm like @JaneL does. i have forced air in the walking closet and master bedroom which warm up the bathroom.
@TN_Oldman my old thermostat was a schluter programable but it died on me and yes it was limited to 82 (which is perfectly fine)
@the2352 i saw the nuheat and also the warmly yours thermostats but neither have any kind of integration with ST or an inclining of going that way. how difficult would it be to create a DTH ? and then would the DTH be all that is needed to comunicate between ST and the stat ? also what kind of feature limitation would there be in this scenario ?

@Navat604 i am hoping that if i get enough interest in this topic and make big enough waves someone smart and in a position of power will just build the stat i am looking for. (for 80$ :smiling_imp:)

2 Likes

To bad you can’t figure a way to just toggle a thermostat on. Kinda like when you put the Schulter in manual mode.

Then just have smartthings control the toggling of that input?

Manual mode heat floor. Auto mode don’t heat floor or use preset program.

I know it is a bit old thread but I was looking for something to work with radiant heating too.
Not sure if my thought process is right but I figured if nothing else is available out of the box then I think I may be able to use temperature sensor to trigger a zwave microswitch that can trigger a 110v manifold actuator and another switch/relay can trigger a pump for the zone. I think that might work only thing I am trying to figure out is how to switch off the pump for the manifold when a zone is satisfied.

I have had good luck using a Sinope thermostat to control my radiant floor heat system and this integration with SmartThings is working fine. From my perspective, I would not consider using SmartThings to truly control this solution. I am using the Sinope to integrate with a TACO zone controller which runs the umps. Smartthings integrates to the Thermostat to see and be able to adjust settings, but is not actually in control of the system. There are considerations like overheat protection, maximum pump duration, periodic cycling of the pumps, pre heating to reach the desired temp on time, etc. that would all need to be considered in ST.
But at the core, I simply would not trust the ST platform to manage this process with 100% reliability.

FYI: Just checked the Sinope website, looks like they’ve got a SmartThings-compatible floor heat controller coming out in October. Communications via ZigBee $185

Hi all,

I have a "warmup "thermostat that has stopped working. I want to replace it with a smartthings compatible stat to control my underfloor heating… Any ideas please

I live in the UK.

I’ve heard that HeatIt units work with non-US floor heating installations. US building codes require GFCI protection so HeatIt units are off limits for us.