[ST Edge] Web Requestor: a driver to issue local POST and GET HTTP requests

Did you try this out with the Bond Bridge and get it to work?

Yes. I am testing out a pre-release version of the driver, but it does work. There is still a good amount of setup since it isn’t a dedicated driver though

I’m on Android using Bond firmware v2.29.7-Beta running local wifi.

If your doing some tests, I’d love for you to keep me in mind.

A Web Requestor driver update has been pushed out that expands the usefulness of the driver by allowing users to provide HTTP ‘body’ data in their configured web requests. This is useful wherever you need to send additional data such as json, xml, or other text along with the HTTP request URI and endpoint.

The way this is implemented is in device settings for the first 5 configurable HTTP requests, there is a companion setting field where you can provide the optional body data. If 5 requests are not sufficient for your needs, you can always create more web requestor devices!

Some other changes made in this driver update:

• added option to use a PUT method for configured web requests
  • code changes to reduce the number of extra entries in history caused by resetting/blanking out device detail screen fields when executing a web request
  • limited the displayed response data to 1024 characters ; this is to prevent any SmartThings app glitches that have been shown to happen when large http responses are received. Although the response field in the device details screen tends to cut off the data shown, you can usually see the first 1024 characters in device history. Note that the response data attribute will still have the entire returned data for access from Rules or SmartApps.

Note: HTTP bodies and PUT methods are not supported for on-the-fly requests sent as arguments from routines or Rules.

Once this driver has been updated on your hub; confirmed by checking for driver version:

2022-02-01T18:50:15.503557

…you should see the new optional body fields available in device settings. If you don’t, try creating a new web requestor device.

Thanks to @blueyetisoftware for the original request and testing!

2 Likes

Thank you! This driver has been awesome for experimentation with the many LAN connected devices that have REST apis.

1 Like

Awesome stuff!!

Curious if anyone is using this driver to control LIFX lights locally? I know there is a LIFX LAN protocol but still trying to wrap my head around it.

I think my hub doesn’t like this update. I’m using this to send a webhook into my local Home Assistant instance whenever the SmartThings more changes. I didn’t get my usual notification this morning, so I went investigating.

Trying to execute a web request just results in the spinning circles and eventually a generic network error. It was last working as of 11:01pm Eastern time last night.

I’m sorry you’re having trouble. Can you try creating another web requestor device? That will tell us if the driver is even (re) installed and functioning.

Creating a new device worked. I also tried rebooting the hub, and that got my original device working as well. Thanks for the assistance!

Glad you’re back up and running! Sometimes these driver updates have hiccups.

A driver update has just been pushed out to fix a problem that would have caused the driver to stop working with the upcoming hub firmware update.

Driver Version 2022-05-13T17:50:11.90298

No further action needed, and no change will be apparent to users.

2 Likes