[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

I use Debian linux on a Raspberry Pi and have no problems. I cannot use the binaries from the CLI github because they don’t support my processor. So I install it with npm from within a terminal window:

npm i -g @smartthings/cli

The other issue is that you must have a browser available. The first time you run a CLI command, it will try to open a browser window and you have to sign in with your SmartThings login and grant permissions by pressing a button. Once you do that, it will say you can close the browser window. Then you return back to your terminal window and the CLI should then complete the requested command.

I have seen people with linux - that don’t have a browser installed - not be able to run CLI. I think there are other ways to set up authorization config files with your token, but now we’re getting into major hassle territory…

Let’s take this conversation off to a separate thread, so DM me directly if you want to pursue this further.

Would it be possible to create an Edge driver for weather ?

I hate the ST implementation where it opens a add filled web page, that’s just a terrible app no no

Would it be possible to drag as much info as possible from the available weather options and display them in and on an edge tile and make the conditions actionable in an automation/routine/the latest Monica ?

2 Likes

Good morning. You could add VIRTUAL plug , and virtual contact (to use as a condition in alexa) but with the light symbol and not the contact symbol. Tanks

Tod, would it be possible to change a created edge drivers purpose once created ??

If a created vedge device had an option to change its visibility to Echo that would be extremely useful, the vedge device would keep its functionality but just become invisible or visible to Echo with a settings change ?

I have noticed your Air quality driver does not show in Echo, could that be used as a kind of background spoof to Echo so a Vedge switch shows but with a change to spoofed Aq sensor it vanishes from Echo

Waiting for ST to give us the ability to choose which devices show in Echo is getting really frustrating now, maybe it could be achieved at driver level ?

1 Like

Never did get it to work. Been traveling this week so haven’t tested recently though.

Please see this topic where this has been discussed:

It is possible to create an Edge driver, but since the data source is cloud-based, that may not make the most sense to do. It can be done, but you would also need a small forwarding bridge program (which I have) running on an always-on machine on your LAN. Edge does not allow direct access to IP address outside your local LAN, so this bridge is needed to forward http requests to the internet.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘virtual plug’. Which SmartThings capability are you referring to from this document?: Production Capabilities | Developer Documentation | SmartThings

Are you just wanting the virtual contact with a different icon?

All you could really do is to take the entire device offline and online and that might make it unusable from Echo, but I’m not sure, we’d have to test that. But no, you can’t change a devices’ capabilities dynamically.

Oh fudge it… thought it was a good idea and would have really helped

Yes. Virtual contact with light icon, and switch with plug icon. Thanks

Alexa distinguishes between “plug,’ “light,” and “switch.” In particular, telling Alexa to “turn off the lights” will NOT turn off plugs in the room. I don’t know what ST sends to Alexa to say which is which, but there is a difference.

Set Plugs or Switches as Lights in the Alexa App - Amazon Customer Service

Yes, I know. To turn on an external light that cannot be controlled by smartthings, I need a condition for alexa (it does not accept triggers on switches) so I use a virtual contact. Virtual contact has a contact icon and I don’t like that. So I was just wondering if it was possible to make a virtual contact with a light icon (it is not a question of capability)
Same with plugs. Since I use a power strip with edge (so you only control the main) to control socket two, three and four, I use virtual switches. So I was wondering if it was possible to have virtual switches with a plug icon.

1 Like

That also has switch capability, right? If so, it probably (although I’m not sure about Edge Drivers) is seen by Alexa as TWO devices: a sensor which as you note can be used as a trigger in an Alexa routine, and a switch, which can be turned on and off by voice. But which you might need to manually change to a plug in the Alexa app so it doesn’t get turned off with the “Alexa, turn off the lights.” Command.

But maybe Alexa sees Edge drivers differently.

the problem is just a graphic appearance within smarthings. if I change the switch in plug part in alexa it does not solve the only problem I have that is the graphic part in smarthings

1 Like

I am assuming it is possible. Multiple profiles need to be created for virtual driver.
There are some issues with Detail page, but one of Edge drivers that I am using for Zigbee plugs has different profiles that you can select

Anyway this is all in Beta so and hickups are expected

1 Like

Thanks . Can I try this driver? It would solve my problem.

This is zigbee only driver
https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=6b68563b-1905-4654-8d2b-e677a2997424

That looks like a useful trick; is the code available? I’d like to see how they are changing the icon dynamically like that. Is it using try_update_metadata device method to change profiles?

Yes, drivers as public and @Mariano_Colmenarejo is sharing his experience with Edge platform. I am testing for him a lot.
I am pretty sure that he will help, as he posted his drivers on Github

2 Likes

Thanks - I was right in how he’s doing it.

@GiacomoF Let me know if the zigbee driver addresses your needs. If not this looks like a simple feature I can add to my virtual driver if it would be useful to you or others.

4 Likes