[ST Edge] vEdge Creator: a virtual device generator for end users

Ok I’ll have it done in a day or so.

2 Likes

A driver update has just been pushed out.

What’s New:

• Air quality device type (@troy_owens)
  • Inventory: (@fido) find out how many virtual devices the driver is managing by type. Th quantity will include all devices created + any devices you’ve moved over from the V1 driver.

Notes

You will only see these enhancements on the V2 driver, not the V1 driver. This will be the case for all enhancements going forward.

If you are not seeing the updates on the creator device details screen after you are certain your driver has been updated (can take up to 12 hours), you may have to delete the creator device and re-create it through an Add device/scan nearby. This seems especially to be needed by iOS users. Android users can try their cache-clearing trick. In any case, deleting and re-creating the creator device will have no impact on your existing virtual devices.

Virtual device types now supported are as follows:

switch, switch level (dimmer), momentary, contact, motion, presence, shade, thermostat, lock, smoke, water, air, alarm

New requests for additional virtual devices types are always welcome!

5 Likes

I was able to create an Air Quality virtual device.

When I try to use Virtual Device Inventory it spins and spins, I get a “network or server error”, and no answer.

1 Like

Sometimes that happens when you try to move too fast in the mobile app. Make sure you give the app time to be totally refreshed. Then try it again. Either that, or you got the presentation update prior to the driver code update being loaded to your hub. If that’s the case, wait a few hours and try again.

1 Like

Getting the Network or server error when trying to create virtual air quality, other create fine

Sounds like the driver code hasn’t been updated yet on your hub. Give it a few hours to get updated and try again later. I won’t panic … yet :confused:

1 Like

My first reply saying you may not have the driver code updated yet on your hub makes no sense. If you were able to create the Air Quality device, then you have it. So now I AM worried. Are you still having the problem with the inventory button?

I can still create Air Quality, but I can NOT run inventory.

@Paul_Oliver
Do you have the CLI? If so, we can check the log output.

I do, but I am on my way to camp for the weekend, and will not have access to it.

Thanks for the update!
I did not understand now that I installed the v2, if I can delete the v1 or if doing so I would lose the virtual devices created with the v1 driver.
Thank you

If you’ve moved all your devices over to the V2 driver, then you can uninstall V1 with no problems. See my post here for how to move devices from the V1 driver to the V2 driver.

1 Like

I back home, and checked the Virtual Device Inventory in your v2 vEdgeCreator and it is working.

2 Likes

ST Wifi Hubs are receiving updates to 38.11 that should enable Edge drivers. Mine has been updated and I’ve deleted and reinstalled the vEdge v2 driver. I’ve done a Scan Nearby, but no new devices are being found.

Same issue here - did you find a solution?

I am on a ST Wifi Hub that has been updated to 38.11. When I go to the “Manage SmartThings Hub” section, Virtual Devices V2 is shown as installed under the “Driver” menu option. I’ve tried reinstalling a couple times, but when I do the Search Nearby then no new devices are added.

@charlie969
If you can install the CLI installed, and get the logger working, then I can help diagnose what’s happening, but if you can’t get that far, than something else is wrong besides the driver itself.

Sorry, I’m not comfortable with command line stuff. Hopefully somebody else will be able to help figure it out!

I could walk you through what to do with step by step instructions, but I perfectly understand if you don’t want to go down that path!

1 Like

I’d be happy have that kind of help. I couldn’t make CLI working in Linux Mint.

Do you have a windows computer? It may be easier.

1 Like

Nope, I only use linux. Are there usually problems with linux version?