[ST Edge] Smartthings Alarm.com Integration

Turns out the command only needs to be done on the initial install, after a subsequent restart, the file can simply be “clicked” & it’ll restart the process, nice!

Hi friend, do it this way for when leaving the house (edit it for your needs):

Or for just staying home for the night:

Ah yes using the ST Home Monitor instead of the device itself works fine. Thanks!

1 Like

BTW, just seeing your screenshots… It looks like you are turning on AND setting security mode. Those two things are the same action, so the system is trying to arm twice in quick succession. Use either turn on/off (which is only arm stay) or use security mode (which can be arm stay or arm away)

1 Like

thanks, this definition helps. I had been wondering what “on” was doing.

First of all, I want to thank you for all your efforts on the Alarm.com edge driver and the proxy server, and wanted to thank you again for all your prior hand-holding to get the proxy server going for me. It really is appreciated as the Alarm.com integration is one of the most important functionalities that my SmartThings home has.

I have been using your Widows executable for the proxy, and all appears well with its function. But I have encountered the following issue which I think may be edge driver related. I have repeated this issue numerous times by removing the SmartThings device, deleting the edge driver, unenrolling from the driver invite, and going into the IDE to ensure the device has been removed. Then I re-enroll, reinstall driver, and bring the Alarm.com Panel device back into my SmartThings app. Done this numerous times (with waits in between) and the issue noted is repeatable. I thought I would bring this to your attention so you can set me straight as to why I might be encountering this issue:

Aware that you have stated “Use either turn on/off (which is only arm stay) or use security mode (which can be arm stay or arm away)”, you can indeed successfully set the system to Armed (away) from the Device Tile with the On/Off button in the Off position, and simply go into Security mode settings and select Armed (away). But if you try to create a Routine or a Scene to set your system to Armed (away), it apparently encounters a problem saving. While creating Routines or Scenes, and after selecting the Alarm.com Panel device the Turn on button is On by default. You then unclick the Turn on button and the Security mode slider is still available for selecting. All appears well until you try to save the Routine or Scene which uses a Security mode selection of Armed (away). You consistently receive a “There is a Problem connecting” prompt and you are never able to save. While attempting to save the Routine or Scene, there is zero change showing in the proxy server window. I have even tried going into the device settings and setting combinations of the No Entry delay and/or Bypass sensors and recreating the Routines or Scenes, all without success. Note: Using Armed (away) as a condition in the If section of Routines can be saved without issue, it only encounters the not saving issue if you use Armed (away) selection in the Then section of the routine or scene.

Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted to explain the issue to you as clearly as possible.

I have also tried using the suggestion above to just use the ST Home Monitor in the Routines to set the Alarm.com Panel accordingly, and YES the routines will save. But in testing the ST Home Monitor to see how it interacts with the ST Alarm.com Panel device, and whether it actually sets the physical panel accordingly, it does indeed work by just using the ST Home Monitor buttons for Armed (stay) and Disarmed, but even with the Bypass Sensors selection within the ST Alarm.com Panal device, I cannot get the physical panel to Armed (away) using the ST Home Monitor button.

That is very odd as the code has no difference which operation you do with it - armaway or arm stay… So that is puzzling… I may need logs from your smartthings to see what may be happening… That however takes a little effort install the entire smartthings cli

I will try to get the ST CLI going and run some tests… but, I have to get away from it for awhile so I can reintroduce myself to my Wife :grin:

I just got a chance to work on this again. I re-flashed my Raspberry Pi. I then input all the commands in your Docker Python proxy installation instructions (one thing: I’m a bit ignorant in Linux, but i was just to leave ${USER}, as is, in the third line and not substitute my username there, right?). Everything seemed to work. I then rebooted and ran the command to run the proxy.

I was able to install the Alarm.com panel in SmartThings. I changed the settings, as recommended, and even input the proxy ip address. However, after refreshing the device, nothing happened. I still can’t control my panel.

Any suggestions?

Adrian

Can you try the stproxy option? I am deprecating all the the other proxy options as there are just too many variables on those.

OK. I tried that before, but it didn’t work out, either. I am willing to try it again, but I want to make sure I am doing the process correctly. So, could you please make sure the steps below are exactly correct? Again, I have dangerously little knowledge of Unix.

1. Remove previously installed Alarm.com device from SmartThings app.
  2. Re-flash Raspberry Pi Zero W.
  3. Download stproxy-linux-arm file from https://github.com/schwark/stproxy/releases/tag/v0.0.3 to my Windows laptop.
  4. Right click hyperlink for config file and save it on Windows.
  5. Use WinSCP to create directory called “pi” in Raspberry Pi.
  6. Transfer downloaded files to “pi” directory.
  7. Change to “pi” directory
  8. Here, you state “Change to that directory in a terminal and specify directory of config.json file if there is an error without it.” So, should I compete the rest of the steps and come back to this is there is a problem, or just go ahead and specify the directory, just in case? In either case, would this be the correct syntax?
    a. chmod +x ./stproxy-linux-arm
    b. ./strproxy-linux-arm -d /home/pi/
  9. Run the following commands, in order:
    a. sudo cp stproxy.service /etc/systemd/system/
    b. sudo systemctl daemon-reload
    c. sudo systemctl start stproxy
    d. sudo systemctl status stproxy
    e. sudo systemctl enable stproxy
  10. Skip driver installation, as I have already been through that.
  11. Scan for devices in the SmartThings app.
  12. Open Settings in the new Alarm.com device, and input username and password for Alarm.com account (TFA disabled).
  13. Change optional settings, as desired.
  14. Pull down device page to refresh.

Thanks,
Adrian Gresores

From “schwark via SmartThings Community” <notifications@smartthings.discoursemail.com>
To adriangresores@gmail.com
Date 10/11/2022 21:13:55
Subject [SmartThings Community] [Devices & Integrations/Community Created Device Types] [ST Edge] Smartthings Alarm.com Integration

OK. I was able to get the stproxy method to work. I think I have learned some things on the way and made significant progress. From what I can tell, I now have the proxy server running (see attached screenshots).

Now, after entering my username and password in the device settings, I got a bit more on the ST device page. It showed Off in the top field, and Security mode in the bottom field. When I clicked on the cog icon in Security mode, I saw the 3 options for the alarm status. However, as soon as I selected one, I got the slashed cloud icon on the Off and Security mode fields. Now, regardless how many times I try to refresh, I still get those icons.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adrian

From “schwark via SmartThings Community” <notifications@smartthings.discoursemail.com>
Date 10/11/2022 21:13:55
Subject [SmartThings Community] [Devices & Integrations/Community Created Device Types] [ST Edge] Smartthings Alarm.com Integration

I may need logs from your st hub to get more information on what is happening… Something may have caused a crash of the whole driver - cannot figure out what that might be without the logs.

How do I generate and send you these logs?

Adrian

Date 10/19/2022 10:45:51

In case it’s helpful, I just removed and re-added the Alarm.com device. In Groovy, I checked both the device’s events under My Devices and Live Logging. In both cases, there were no events listed after I re-added the device. I had the same issues when I tried to refresh the device after adding the username and password.

Adrian

Date 10/19/2022 10:45:51

Install using the information here…

Then run command

smartthings edge:drivers:logcat --hub-address=<ip-address>

Hi @schwark. I’ve been using the integration for a couple months now (from this install).
I’d say arm-away work 75% of the time. What would you suggest for troubleshooting the 25% of the time when alarm.com is not armed?

Thank you so much for working on this with me. I am sorry if my Linux ignorance makes it more difficult.

Let me see if I understand…

What am I missing?

Adrian

Date 10/23/2022 23:39:43

I think I am now able to run the executable. However, it returns a Segmentation fault error. What now?

Adrian

Date 10/23/2022 23:39:43