[ST Edge] Hampton Bay / King of Fans 99432 Zigbee Fan — Stability-Focused Driver

I wanted to share a new stability-focused SmartThings Edge driver for the Hampton Bay / King of Fans 99432 Zigbee ceiling fan controller.

This is intended as an alternative implementation for the older Home Depot / Hampton Bay fan controller commonly identified as:

  • HBUniversalCFRemote

  • HDC52EastwindFan

  • King Of Fans, Inc.

  • King Of Fans, Inc.

Why another driver?

There is already excellent prior King of Fans Edge-driver work by philh30, and this project owes a lot to that work for the known fingerprints, FanMode mappings, and reporting behavior.

I had previously experienced these controllers dropping from SmartThings and wanted to experiment with a deliberately minimal, stability-focused implementation.

The goals for this version were:

  • Minimal Zigbee traffic

  • No polling

  • Fan On / Off

  • Low / Medium / High / Max fan speeds

  • Light On / Off

  • Light dimming

  • Physical remote synchronization

  • Immediate SmartThings command feedback

  • Delayed readback to confirm the controller’s actual state

  • Conservative Zigbee attribute reporting

Current testing

I have tested the driver with two physical Hampton Bay / King of Fans controllers using:

King Of Fans, Inc. / HBUniversalCFRemote

So far, both are working correctly with:

  • Fan On / Off from SmartThings

  • Low / Medium / High / Max speeds

  • Light On / Off

  • Light dimming

  • Physical remote light On / Off synchronization

  • Physical remote dimmer synchronization

  • Physical remote fan-speed synchronization

The driver is still being evaluated for long-term stability. I am not claiming that this eliminates the historical disconnect/unpairing problem with these controllers. That is specifically one of the things I want to observe over time.

Install

Current release: v1.0.0 – Initial Public Release

SmartThings Driver Channel:

Source code, installation instructions, disclaimer, and license:

Credits

The prior King of Fans SmartThings Edge-driver work by philh30 was an important technical reference for this project.

The stability-focused driver implementation and development guidance were produced interactively with ChatGPT by OpenAI.

I performed the physical hardware testing, validation, and publication and do not claim authorship of the driver implementation.

If anyone else still has one of these Hampton Bay / King of Fans controllers, additional testing—especially long-term connectivity testing—would be useful.

Update – October 1, 2026

I’ve been running the driver for nearly four weeks now and so far it has been very stable. None of my fans have dropped off the Zigbee network, and I haven’t had to re-pair or reset any of them.

I’ll continue running it and will post another update if I run into any issues, but so far the stability improvements appear to be working well.