[ST Edge] Driver for GE/Jasco/Honeywell Z-Wave Switches, Dimmers, Fans, Outlets, and Plug-Ins

Is yours the toggle (46202) or paddle (46201)? I’m trying to track what’s verified as working and realized I had both set to be named 46201 when joined.

The 46201 is the paddle style.

1 Like

Wouldn’t (shouldn’t) Smartthings be making edge drivers for these switches? I have way too many on these, and no desire to remove and rejoin them, and then redo the automation.

2 Likes

At some point ST will transition your devices to Edge drivers without requiring any action on your part - no exclude/include. The process should be seamless for you, and they’ll map your devices to an appropriate stock driver. It’s completely ok to wait for ST to transition your devices, since that should be less disruptive for you.

ST has written an Edge driver for z-wave switches, and if you wait then that will likely be what your GE switches are mapped to. In its current state, that driver has all the basic functionality covered, but none of the additional features like configuration parameters, association, or double tap. After the transition, you’ll be able to swap drivers just like you can swap DTHs, and there may be other community options to choose from by then.

3 Likes

@philh30
Could you add the following relay to your driver. It currently uses the “Z-wave switch generic” DTH.

@philh30

If you have a model that’s not included, let me know and I’ll look into adding it.

Would LOVE to see the Motion DImmer switches family (26931/26933) added!

@Paul_Oliver My intended scope for this driver is just the Jasco-made devices. I’ll follow up via PM.

I actually just ordered one of the motion switches after seeing the rave reviews from @nathancu. Should be here tomorrow, so stay tuned.

3 Likes

I have a couple of recently purchased Jasco in wall outlets: mfr:0063 prod:4952 model:3233

Added. I couldn’t find anything on that model, but I found 3235 which supports central scene. I’ve put yours in the central scene profile assuming it’s the same. The choice of profiles only matters for the button events (which you may not care about on an outlet) so if you find that double tap isn’t working I can shift it to a different profile.

I recently asked about this, and the answer I received is that there is a difference in this regard between groovy DTHs and edge drivers.

With a groovy DTH, you can just manually assign it to any DTH you want.

With an edge driver, the fingerprint of that specific device must be listed in the driver, or the driver must’ve been written to specifically accept a generic pairing, which not all do.

Hard to tell how much of an issue this will be once everything goes live, but I just thought I’d mention it.

5 Likes

So while this transition from groovy DTHs to Edge Drivers is going on, how can I tell while devices are using DTHs and which are using Edge Drivers?

@damohabir If you log into the Groovy IDE and list your devices, those devices using a driver will be of type “placeholder”. Alternatively, if you list your devices using the CLI, those using a device handler will be type “DTH” while those using a driver will be type “ZWAVE”.

2 Likes

When the device is open in the app click on the 3 dots on top right corner. If driver is an option it is using an Edge Driver.

3 Likes

I know the IDE will list device fingerprints for all devices that use a DTH. Is there an equivalent in the CLI yet? I have a few devices that were initially added with the samsung generic switch driver, and I’m not sure how to view the fingerprint.

Also, what should the hexid be in devices that are using drivers? A device network ID is no longer shown in the IDE.

If you use the -y or -j flags when running devices in the CLI then you’ll get a lot more info, including the fingerprint and network ID.

1 Like

I had some time today, and I wanted to see what it is like to install an edge driver. So I decided to install this one and change one switch over to use the driver. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to install. So now I have one switch using this driver. However, IDE is showing that this is now “cloud” execution instead “local” execution. Did I do something wrong?

Name ge-switch-legacy
Label Basement Light
Type placeholder
Version Published
Status ONLINE
Group Basement
Last Activity At 2021-12-29 11:13 AM EST
Date Created 2021-12-29 11:10 AM EST
Last Updated 2021-12-29 11:12 AM EST
Data No data found for device
Current States No states found
Execution Location Cloud
1 Like

Edge devices are truly Local, but the IDE always shows them as cloud.

4 Likes

The Groovy IDE is due to be shut down, so ST hasn’t been bothered to update it to properly reflect devices using Edge drivers. Until ST opens up a new interface that’s easier for end users to navigate, the CLI is the best place to look for details on any device using Edge.

If you want an easy way to confirm that the device is now running local, try setting up a routine that turns this device on at a certain time. After you save, you should see a house icon on the routine’s tile, indicating that it (and all devices in the routine) will execute on your hub.

1 Like

Thank you @philh30

1 Like