ST Compatible Alarm detector like Roost or WeMo's new offering

I’ve been interested in smoke / CO alarm notification since I learned about SmartThings, I’m in the process of adding on more than 20% of my existing square footage to my house which by code is forcing me to get hardwired interconnected smoke detectors.

I’ve seen some posts about wiring up a relay to a MIMOlite but I’ve seen some news lately about devices that listen for an audible alarm.

One is the Roost Smart Battery. Another isn’t quite out yet but the Belkin Wemo Alarm Sensor. Does anyone know of any devices that already work with ST that work like this? I might have missed something in my search.

I believe the Smoke or Smoke and Carbon Monoxide dectectors that Lowes sells will work. They are made by FirstAlert.

Yea I wanted to get those until my township enforced hardwired interconnected smoke detectors which I have not seen any that work with ST.

Gotta love fire codes…

More interested in devices that listen for the frequency of a smoke alarm like the two listed in my initial post.

We have the same issue with the hardwired interconnect. It is becoming quite standard from what I’ve been reading. The only hardwired ones I found were the Nest Protects.

Yea my building inspector told me he just approved someone with those, but they’re expensive. I need 1 per bedroom + 1 extra per floor. 5 x $199 (for hardwired) = wallet pain.

I’ll probably do the whole MIMOLite build, and once I’m done somebody will come out with something.

There is an existing discussion about this. I have connected my 20+ hardwired smoke alarms to smartthings for about $60 using a first alert relay aand a schlage sensor:

Yea I’m aware of that solution, just looking to see if anybody knows of one that listens for smoke alarms.

My review of the Roost Smart Battery:

I’ve just bought a Unijem smart battery, and there seems to be a lot of similarities. The Unijem I got works great and installed pretty easily. Cost £10.
After reading your review, it looks like Roost really messed that one up. I wonder if things are better now?
Anyhow…I’m asking the community if Unijem can be integrated into ST.

Fingers crossed.

You are responding to a thread which is five years old. A lot has changed in that time.

I haven’t heard of any integration with the Unijem, but as far as the OP‘s original question, currently the most popular option for this kind of acoustic sensor is the ecolink firefighter, a zwave device. That gives you the best integration with smartthings and is on the official “works with smartthings“ list.

In the US, An echo device can also do this through its “guard“ feature and Alexa routines (not smartthings routines). Smoke detector alerts are available with both the free and the paid tier.

And kidde has an acoustic sensor of this type which uses Wi-Fi and has an IFTTT channel, so you would get your smartthings integration that way.

So there are a lot more options than there used to be. :sunglasses:

1 Like