Sonoff and my dimmer switch

So I’m confused on the sonoff and using it conjunction with a dimmer… if I place the sonoff before the dimmer sonoff works fine. If I place it between the dimmer and the light it only works when the dimmer is on high. I’ve got the dimmer wired on the load wire, and neutral doesn’t connect to dimmer.

Sonoff is connect with load to load and neutral to neutral.

I was under the impression that sonoff required very little power but this doesn’t seem to be the case with my setup…

It’s a Wi-Fi device, so it’s not considered low power compared to a zigbee or zwave device. ( that’s why Wi-Fi has a better range. But also why Wi-Fi devices have much poor battery life.) . But it’s still pretty low.

I could guess why the sonoff needs the dimmer to be on high before it works, but there are two different engineering possibilities and I don’t really know which one applies so I will leave that to others to discuss. What’s the model number of your sonoff?

SONOFF Basic R2

1 Like

OK so i think i Figured this out… this is from lutrons website… can’t i do this and just switch the mechanical switch with a sonoff?

I would doubt it, but I honestly have no idea. You need to talk to the people are using Sonoffs. Try the following thread.

[RELEASE] Sonoff, Sonoff TH, S20, Dual, 4CH, POW, & Touch Device Handler & SmartApp ($5 & $10 Smart Switches)

1 Like

i made a new post over there

1 Like