SOLVED: In search of simple wireless wall light switch

I’m replacing an existing 3-way light switch, probably with GE Z-Wave or Z-Wave Plus modules. I have the necessary neutral and wiring in place.

The problem is, I want to add another wall switch in another part of the house and there’s no way to get wiring to the new location. So, I need a simple wireless (battery-operated) device that looks like a wall switch, and that will toggle the 3-way circuit.

I’m surprised that after an hour of searching I don’t see anything like that - there must be a need besides me?!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Here is a listing of items that might work for you.

Thanks Ernie, I’ve looked through that thread several times in the two years since its inception, but there isn’t any great option there unfortunately. Mostly switches that require wiring, or are only available in the UK, or key fobs and remotes. I was hoping that thread didn’t represent the “latest and greatest”.

I have been using the rf9500. It works well and looks like a regular switch.
download

2 Likes

Ditto. I use it to control a table lamp plugged into a smart pocket socket in my kids’ room. Works great.

1 Like

There are at least four US options in the FAQ that fit your description, although you might not like the looks of them.

The Cooper RF9500 that @ErnieG mentioned is one of the most popular.

There are also three “smart switch covers” which fit over an existing switch, but they are much bulkier. Any of these can be used independently without fitting over an existing switch as well.

If you are willing to use a Lutron Caseta switch for the master, then their auxiliary switch is a battery operated device called a pico remote which is very popular, but looks quite different from a regular switch.

IMG_4224IMG_4225

All of these are detailed in the buttons FAQ if you’re interested in more information on them.

Otherwise the Cooper is probably your best bet. :sunglasses:

Thanks for a quick and detailed response, all. I’ll look into those options, especially the ones that look even remotely like a switch, LOL. I thought some of them required a hole cut in the wall, but I must be wrong.

1 Like

No holes in wall for rf9500. Mine is held up by command strips.

2 Likes

I replaced the 3-way switch successfully today, that’s all working great.

I paired the Cooper Aspire RF9500 switch with my network, and I’ve tried several methods with no success.

It’s recognized as a “Z-Wave Device” initially. As part of my testing I’ve also added Eric Vitale’s device handler (Cooper 9500 Beast) and changed the device to that type in the IDE. I also played around with his Toggimmer tool.

The problem is, no matter what I do (even with no SmartApps installed), every time I press the button, I can see in the log two immediate events, one turning the switch on, and another immediate event turning the switch off.

To be more clear, turning the device “on” or “off” with the physical switch sends two on/off commands in sequence. Effectively leaving the lights off if they’re already off. But if I toggle the device through the web or mobile phone app, it works just fine.

What am I doing wrong?!

I use the “thegilbertchan : Cooper RF9500 (all buttons)” device type handler along with the Button Contoller app. The button presses on the RF9500 just toggle a hue bulb. Thus, it doesn’t matter if I press the top or bottom of the switch.
Please note that this method does not give you a button to activate the RF9500 in the Smartthings app. However, I find such an omission irrelevant because if I want to turn the light on in the Smartthings app I would just turn the bulb on.

2 Likes

Thanks again, Ernie.

I switched over to “thegilbertchan” and it’s working great.

Really appreciate all your help!

1 Like

Glad it worked for you.

2 Likes

Still working, 10 days later. I love having a light switch in that location! Every once in a while it doesn’t work on the first try, but 9 out of 10 times it does and I’m very willing to live with that. I also wish the button had more travel, it’s hard to tell if you pushed it or not, especially with gloves on.

2 Likes