Smoke/CO Z Wave?

I’m curious how a home inspector would view detectors that are all Nest that sort of require an app a buyer may or may not know how to use (even though it’s dead simple). Might turn off some potential buyers vs a simple Kiddie interconnect. Just something to think about. May not be something that actually adds value to the home like we’d assume. I think about this a lot with my smart light switches that require a smartthings hub and Alexa to really work simply, which 9/10 people don’t know how to use intuitively without previous experience. It takes some “training.”

At least with the Halo’s they are wired interconnect like any other system. Assuming all detectors are Halo’s and interconnected, it seems like more of a complete/working package. That’s ultimately why I ended up with the Halo’s in my house.

Just thinking out loud here…

2 Likes

good question. The Nest detectors only require initial setup with the app so they can talk to each other though. After that the app is no longer needed.

I have to make a change to my previous statement of having to replace detectors after 10 years. The nest website says to replace theirs at 7. I am pretty sure they probably are set up to just stop working at 7.

If anybody thinks any of this smartstuff or nest detectors or nest thermostats or remote opening garage doors adds any value to a house purchase they are delusional.

A house purchase isn’t going to be derailed or close because of a $40 light switch, or even several.

Definitely not adding value to the house. I’d call it a nice feature at best, assuming somebody like us is the buyer lol. In fact, some might be turned off by it. That’s what I meant.

7 years wouldn’t surprise me.

See my post here how I integrated my Smoke network for less than $50 without changing the detectors.

I have 3 Kidde hardwired interconnected, which I would like to add a relay to integrate to ST. Which Relay did you use? As far as I know, Kidde applies 9V to the gray wire when active, which triggers the remote units.
Thanks!

Kidde - Interconnect Accessories Smoke Relay Module: 408-Sm120X - smoke relay module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYERC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Wi.zAb8WCJG9Z

It worked out well for this application!

1 Like

See my post just above, there is a link to Amazon for the relay as well as a pictures.

Yes, I saw it after I asked the question… thanks again!

1 Like

So, like others here I was buying the Halo smoke detectors. Oddly this discussion seems to have died out and along with it so has the Halo company. This is very sad because I really like mine and when paired to Smartthings there was no change in functionality when they shut down their cloud stuff.

So the ones I have work just fine, but what are people buying now? It is starting to look like the only options are either battery powered or …?

The Nest solution requires that all of the detectors are Nest products. That isn’t very helpful when you only need to replace one or two failed devices. Even if I did want to buy all 10 or 11 detectors over again I am pretty much turned off by any company that tries to herd you into their system in that fashion.

Has anyone found anything? Why is this so hard?

Likely certification UL listing, etc. These safety products are not toys and can have a drastic impact if improperly designed and produced.

If Nest made their detectors wired and worked with my existing interconnect, I’d be all in.

That is the thing, the Nest product would suit me just fine if they supported the interconnect “standard”. While it is true that not all detectors use that wire the same way, the fact remains that enough of the market does actually work together to matter.

I am not going to claim that I know how much it costs to add the hardware necessary to monitor that interconnect wire, but one can pretty much guarantee that such costs are less than engineering a brand new wireless communication format to connect the devices. The logical conclusion is that they chose this path primarily because it just happens to have the side effect that you can’t “legally” buy any other product without replacing all of them.

Sadly this kind of tactic tells me that they expect people won’t see enough value in their product to come back on their own. Instead of building a device that they are proudly saying “ours is better than theirs” they are saying “buy ours because it is cool…and by the way good, luck switching back!”

Ironically, just like the previous comment, I would be buying a bunch of them of they would just make a decent product without playing games.

Sorry… done ranting.

Oh, wait…one more rant!!! The previous post noted the type of product we are dealing with here is an important point and one that is apparently lost on the Kidde and First Alerts of the world. “First Alert” is probably a good name for someone who builds products designed to last 10 years that fail in 2 by firing off every other detector in the house “first”…and always at 3am. These companies say that false alarms are usually due to conditions present in the air, but they are lying. The excuse given for why they will start the “low battery chirp” at 3am might even be scientifically sound, but there is no excuse to sound the main alarm because the battery is low. For a while I was dumb and I replaced the ones that were setting off false alarms with the same brand. New units don’t fail, but others just two years old will. Eventually the new ones get to be two years old and start the same vial behavior. I believe there should be a class action law-suit against that trash because people will lose their lives when they unplugged the thing after 5 false alarms or just as bad go immediately into “trying to kill the detector mode” instead of checking for a fire. How these companies are allowed to build such garbage is beyond comprehension.

Unfortunately, Nest (to the best of my knowledge) does not integrate with SmartThings. I am looking for a wired smoke detector that does integrate with SmartThings.

I am looking for a wired smoke/carbon monoxide detector that integrates with SmartThings. The only wired model I’ve seen come close is the First Alert OneLink line but they currently only integrate with Apple Home. The issue I have is, Apple Home is very restrictive with which devices it supports. For example, my Hue Lights are compatible, but my GE ones as well as my Kwikset locks are not - hence why I’ve stayed with SmartThings and why I look to SmartThings to be the central POC for all automations I create.

Its great for turning on lights but what about unlocking doors? I’d love to have a detector that can integrate with Smartthings which I can also set up to unlock the doors. Reason… when I was younger, my cousin was killed in a house fire. He was sleeping when the detector went off. Either confused by just waking up, or stress, he made it to the door, but we surmised he couldn’t get out because it was locked and he couldn’t figure out to unlock it before he was overcome by smoke.

Turning on lights ia a great idea but unlocking the doors for an easy evacuation would be better.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/ecolink-z-wave-plus-firefighter-ff-zwave5-smoke-and-co-audio-detector

1 Like

This does not appear to be wired. It does not say so and it talks about notification(s) when the batteries get low.

Thanks …

Take a look at the post below. @162884 purchased that one for use in a wired environment. Perhaps he/she can confirm.

Additionally, even wired sensors have batteries for when the power goes out. Wired sensors will alert on a low battery conditions.

From the listing by @TheSmartestHouse:

If your smoke / carbon monoxide detectors work in tandem with other units in your home, you only need one Ecolink Firefighter to add Z-Wave functionality instead of replacing all sensors!

@TheSmartestHouse should also be able to advise if they are wired detectors.

The Ecolink FireFighter is not an actual smoke detector. It’s an alarm detector that listens for smoke and CO alerts from existing detectors and then translates that signal into Z-Wave notifications. It needs to be mounted close to the actual detector and is battery-powered only (battery lasts up to 5 years though).

If your detectors work in tandem, you’ll only need one of the Ecolink devices to monitor the whole house remotely.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. The post that mentioned it confused me about its specs.

1 Like

Anyone using the Fibaro?

I need to get the CO level, not just if it triggered or not. Anyone know if any of the devices available will emit the value so I can graph it over time?

The Fibaro is only available for the E.U., so you might try asking in the UK section of the forum.

https://community.smartthings.com/c/uk