SmartThings WiFi Mesh Ethernet Backhaul No Longer Working

The simplest answer is that Plume is no longer supported by ST, so all that functionality has now gone away AFAIK. I have to admit though I have not setup a separate account yet to reactivate Plume which someone else linked to above if you want access to the Plume app. If you do that, I don’t know what functionality actually comes back (if anything different than what is shown at the beginning of this post). Maybe someone else can chime in if you’ve done that? I still get Plume notifications even though I’m no longer signed in via iOS (e.g. certain devices coming online/offline).

1 Like

Can’t remember if I mentioned this, but you can still get Internet Speed from the ST app if you look at the device details to make sure the network speeds look normal from ISP (that I missed from the Plume app):

Thanks for the reply. My ST Wifi is in router mode and I can’t manage the advanced settings in HomePass to change it to bridge mode.

I contacted Plume using the exact instructions on the webpage you linked. They responded…

"Please note that I can only assist with general questions about the Plume app and SuperPods. For any account-related inquiries, billing questions, and specific technical support, you need to contact your internet service provider, Samsung.

You can reach out to Samsung’s customer service for help with creating your account and resolving any issues."

I went back and forth with them and they wouldn’t admit or even understand they their website told me to contact Plume.

Nevertheless, I contacted Samsung SmartThings support and they acknowledged the issue with manually creating a Plume account and said their devs are working on it but no ETA. I’m not holding my breath.

Thank you timmo!, I haven’t created a plume account, maybe that’s the reason. I’ll search ifbby migrating I loose any of the actual functionality that I still have, because the online notification is critical to me.

When you re-set it all up again using my instructions earlier in this post, ST WiFi Mesh hub will automatically go into ‘Bridge’ mode when you connect it via Ethernet into a switch (assuming you are using a different WiFi mesh system from ISP router - e.g.: Comcast ISP Router/Modem —> TP-Link Deco hub —> Switch (via Ethernet) —> ST WiFi Mesh hub (via Ethernet plugged into Switch).

EDIT
In thinking about this more, at the time I did this the Plume app was still working but I did not have to do anything using that app to have it go into Bridge mode. It automatically went into Bridge mode using the above instructions. With the Plume app no longer working, I would assume it would still go into Bridge mode on its own in the ST app. Maybe someone can confirm that may have done this recently?

The Plume HomePass app still (partially) works on Android phones. While the network optimization functions always say “Calculating” and the advanced reporting and filtering features are not available, the basics of the app still work. For example, I just added a new Guest Wi-Fi password to test the app and it succeeded.

I also agree that if the Primary Wi-Fi hub is plugged into Ethernet, it will auto select Bridge Mode. I never had to configure anything in the HomePass app when I set mine up.

I have now watched the end-of-life of two SmartThings WiFi installations. I would humbly propose that we are all prone to the “sunk cost” fallacy (or similarly working through the 5 Stages of Grief) to get to acceptance of this fact: SmartThings WiFi as a mesh network and Plume are gone forever.

You can use the SmartThings WiFi puck as a router (maybe) and as a SmartThings hub for automation. But the mesh network will not work either by Ethernet backhaul or WiFi backhaul.

I have not found a way to disable WiFi while using it as a ST hub.

I finally broke down and went with the Xfinity XB8 Gateway, leaving the ST WiFi puck as only a hub for ST automations. The WiFi from the ST hub does not seem to impact the performance of the Xfinity Gateway.

The XB8 is such a powerful gateway that I didn’t even need a mesh network in one of my installations.

I hope this can help someone in their journey!

| h0ckeysk8er Bruce Pinsky
July 3 |

• | - |

timmo:

EDIT
In thinking about this more, at the time I did this the Plume app was still working but I did not have to do anything using that app to have it go into Bridge mode. It automatically went into Bridge mode using the above instructions. With the Plume app no longer working, I would assume it would still go into Bridge mode on its own in the ST app. Maybe someone can confirm that may have done this recently?

The Plume HomePass app still (partially) works on Android phones. While the network optimization functions always say “Calculating” and the advanced reporting and filtering features are not available, the basics of the app still work. For example, I just added a new Guest Wi-Fi password to test the app and it succeeded.

I also agree that if the Primary Wi-Fi hub is plugged into Ethernet, it will auto select Bridge Mode. I never had to configure anything in the HomePass app when I set mine up.