Smartthings to trigger Honeywell alarm? (2019)

Relatively new to ST (about 4 months) but have gotten comfortable with some customization (using custom code/DHs, setting up virtual switches/devices, etc.) though not tackled WebCORE yet.

I am trying to think of a way that I can have Smartthings motion sensors throughout my home that, if triggered when in certain modes, could set off my home Honeywell vista alarm. There’s an obvious way I could do this - for example, putting a Honeywell-compatible door sensor on my garage door, and setting up a routine that would open my garage door any time one of the motion sensors were triggered. I’m guessing there is a far simpler way to do this, but I haven’t been able to think of one yet. Other than simplicity, I also want to avoid actually having to open the garage door if there is someone triggering a motion sensor - in addition to being annoying, that would also potentially be a safety risk. Any ideas? Is there some type of device that could accept a SmartThings signal/trigger (or IFTTT trigger for that matter) and simulate a Honeywell door sensor opening?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t do it with the garage door opening, but there are lots of ways to do something similar with various physical devices That initiate an event that can be detected by the other system. Usually the easiest one to trigger is a motion sensor on the Honeywell system and then have the SmartThings system turn on a fan or turn on a table lamp Just above the Honeywell motion sensor and that’s usually enough to trigger it. You just have to experiment.

(I’ve mentioned before in the forums how several years ago at a commercial install With multiple incompatible systems we did something similar by starting a remote control toy car from one system that then triggered a motion sensor on a different system. We later replaced this with a fan in a box, but the same idea. :sunglasses:)

You can also have a “robot finger” triggered by one system push a button on the other system. That works, but has a lot more points of vulnerability.

Presumably if anybody has done anything more elegant with software integrations, they will chime in. :wink:.

Also, go to the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, look down near the bottom of that page for the “project reports“ section and choose the list on security. There are a couple of Honeywell project reports there that might be relevant.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

Thanks. Interesting stuff. Prompted me to think of something else. I have bought an electromagnet. I will put a door sensor on top of it and generally keep it active through a zwave outlet. When something trips, I will turn off the zwave outlet, thereby turning off the magnet, which should trip the alarm. Will report back on my results.

1 Like

Just remember that means any general power outage will trip your alarm. I’m not sure if that’s what you wanted. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Great point! I will connect it to a UPS (and we have a generator, so that should take care of it).

1 Like