SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor

Just picked up 4 of these. Two work great, one of them is slow/sporadic to send open/closed readings (though vibration readings come though fast), and the last won’t send any open/closed readings (but again does vibration/temp).

Any ideas? Defective?

It could be a defective device, but normally I would just guess that the neighbor tables need to be rebuilt and suggest a network heal and point you to the sensor FAQ if that didn’t work. ( The FAQ says open/close sensors but applies to motion sensors as well.)

However, as it happens, for the last few weeks there have been a number of things broken in the platform and these can affect zigbee devices like your sensors.

In particular, there’s a scheduler issue where things which are coded to happen in milliseconds are instead being assigned to seconds (1000 times longer) and therefore some of these are timing out. That can be a big issue. There’s supposed to be a fix coming for that particular problem this week.

So I’m not really sure what to tell you. You can go through the steps in the troubleshooting FAQ and see if any of that helps. Or you could just wait for the platform update and see if that helps. If you’re close to the end of your return period., You might go ahead and return them just in case it is a defective device. It’s just a really hard time to troubleshoot right now. :disappointed_relieved:

I ended up resetting and repairing the device, and now it is working as expected. When you pair a zigbee device like this, is it actually enumerating multiple sensors (vibration, magnetic, temperature) and could one of those fail during pairing?

They can’t fail during pairing, they all get reported by the same manager. One might go defective over time, but that’s unusual.