SmartThings hub and Google Home (UK)

I’ve recently purchased a SmartThings hub/starter kit, with the intention of automating some of the things in my flat.

I was hoping that I would be able to simply buy some ‘ZigBee/Zwave’ enabled bulbs/switches/relays etc… but when I look online at what is available/compatible, the list is very short.

I read somewhere that the Osram bulbs are compatible, but then further down the description, it says that I need a LIGHTIFY hub?? I don’t understand why I would need another bit of hardware.

Now, I understand why I need the SmartThings hub, as it needs to bridge my LAN with the ZigBee/Zwave devices, but I’m not really understanding why I need another hub? Or maybe I don’t ?

Ideally, I’d like to replace light-switches with something I can control directly from ST, is there such a thing?

I’m based in the UK (which I think makes a difference to some of the devices)

You won’t need the lightify hub if you have SmartThings. :sunglasses:

As far as lighting controls for the UK go, the FAQ should help (this is a clickable link)

The following might also be of interest:

1 Like

Thanks JDRoberts, I bought the bulb, turned it on, and then it appeared in my SmartThings app… no additional hardware.required. I can even say “Hey google turn the bedroom light blue” and it does as it’s told. :smiley:

1 Like