Smartthings Hardware being licensed to Aeotec?

Smartthings camera is available in the USA, vision on eBay from Australia, and 360 from the UK right now
They aren’t amazing cameras and they feel cheap but they do have sound detection.

If/when Aeotec does actually upgrade the 2018-era V3 hub, I’d love to see the new Z-Wave Long Range spec included, too.

Z-Wave’s branding is slowly morphing into USB: the x00-series chips, Z-Wave Plus, Z-Wave Plus V2, Z-Wave Long Range, etc. Ideally, they’ll wrap up LR + 700 into a “800” or a “900” chip soon.

For now, Long Range is being included in Z-Wave Plus V2, even though previous Z-Wave Plus V2 devices won’t have it.

“LR” (long range) Is different because it extends the number of allowed device IDs so that you can have thousands on one network. They said this is specifically because of the dramatic increase in sensors that many smart homes now have. But in order to make that work, even though they say it’s backwards compatible, it’s going to be tricky so that the addresses are recognizable for the routing.

Vesternet has a good explanation of the various currently available device terms:

And they are still using marketing terms as well as engineering terms.

So “Z wave plus“ is the same as “series 500“ and “Z wave plus V2” is the same as “series 700.“

LR is just a specification for now and will be indeed part of Z wave plus V2.

The new Z-Wave-LR specification will be managed and certified under the Z-Wave Plus V2 certification program. This currently requires the inclusion of the S2 security framework as well as SmartStart, a Z-Wave technology that enables simple setup and installation of Z-Wave devices by scanning a QR code.

Z wave alliance has said that there are currently three manufacturers in the alpha phase of testing LR, but they haven’t been named yet.

1 Like

Sorry everyone, I had to change the title of this post because the old one was driving me crazy. Feel free to edit it to something better if you want :slight_smile:

1 Like

I built my own a year ago using a Zigbee door switch … been working great.
Opening the box triggers sending a text message to phones and our Echos announce “You’ve got Mail”.

looks like aeotec hardware for smartthings is appearing in other EU locations: button/motion sensor and multipurpose sensors in stock

5 Likes

We started getting them in Aus/NZ, yay! (Photo comparing the old box vs the new box), I’m still waiting for the smart outlets that are in flight to NZ.

2 Likes

was the bulb Aeotec brand too or is that old?

Fellow Kiwi here, where are they starting to show up?

Hey there mate!

They are sold from SmartHome in Australia (they support the NZ market): https://www.smarthome.com.au/

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Heya all,

Finally got the smart outlets!

Though I’m extremely disappointed, as this:

Doesn’t even come close to this (for a moment I thought it would be specific to ST outlets):

Plus the fact that it runs in cloud, not local:

(Yes, I remember the comment from Zach in here: SmartThings smart plugs - suddenly cloud connected? , the question would be when automations truly become local, will they work for just the basic on/off? because even the default zigbee handler for smoke sensors are still ‘cloud’ (‘If fire → turn off coffee machine’ ) ).

I think this is the old UI plugin for the plugs. They made a revision at some point to make the tiles smaller so more info could fit on the screen.

2 Likes

The Zigbee plugs run local. The wifi plug runs in the cloud. Or at least so I thought.

It looks like it should use DTH “Smartpower outlet” based on the fingerprint which should run local :thinking:

1 Like

Heya,

For the UI thing, thats too bad, looked a bit neat the ‘old one’, weird that they havent updated the promo,

As for the ‘official’ DTH, unfortunately no, the Aeotec/SmartThings outlet uses the zigbee-metering-plug one, as the AU/NZ one model is ZB-ONOFFPlug-D0005: zigbee-metering-plug.groovy

1 Like

The SmartHome website still says they are coming “May/June” like the multipurpose sensors.

I suspect that the Aeotec zigbee products may soon be hitting Amazon. Just a hunch.

4 Likes

I just looked on Bestbuy.com, and they have the Aeotec zigbee products on their site now, but marked as sold out. And I did ask Aeotec support when they think they will be available, and he told me the plan is July 2021.

2 Likes

Here are the listings on Best Buy’s site which also provide a good idea of the pricing for their rebranded sensors…

Aeotec water leak sensor
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aeotec-water-leak-sensor/6457881.p?skuId=6457881

Aeotec motion sensor
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aeotec-motion-sensor/6457884.p?skuId=6457884

Aeotec multipurpose sensor
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aeotec-multipurpose-sensor/6457882.p?skuId=6457882

6 Likes

I see the prices are higher. I dont remember them being that high when they came out.