Smartthings Classic App update to 2.18.0 broken features

Honestly, I have never tried it before, as I haven’t seen any need of it. But tried it and I cannot add a photo to a room or device.

1 Like

@GSzabados @Augustin @daven If you haven’t reported the “can’t set pictures” issue, please open a support ticket also: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us

Reporting issues to support is very frustrating. It takes 2-3 round trip messages before they actually act upon my report, first having to treat me like I have no clue what I’m talking about. I think I may have finally gotten past that point on this support ticket, but I’m not sure. The email so far reads like they haven’t even tried to reproduce the problem.

This was my initial report:

Subject: Unable to set picture on device or room in Smartthings Classic App in 2.18 and 2.19.1 on Android

I’m unable to set the picture on a device or room using the Classic App since 2.18.0. I just verified that the bug still exists in 2.19.1, which was just released yesterday. If I revert the app back to 2.17.0, this works without a problem.

To reproduce this issue, using 2.18.0 or 2.19.1 of the Classic App, follow these steps:

1. First, create a new room
    Go to “My Home” and select the “Rooms” tab.
    Scroll down to the bottom and select “Add a room”.
    Give the room a name “Test” and click Save.

2. New try to add a picture
    Scroll up (the new room is at the top) and select the new room.
    Click the gear icon on the upper right to bring up the room settings.
    At the top, click the circle “add photo” next to the room name.
    Choose “Take a photo”
    Using your camera, take a photo and select “OK”

At this point, the app fails. It shows a white screen, and then goes back to the “Right Now” screen of the Room. If you open the room’s settings, you will see no photo has been saved.

When the app works (if you are using 2.17.0), then after selecting “OK” you are given a screen where you can crop the new image using a circle. That never happens in 2.18.0 or 2.19.1.

The above problem is also reproducible on devices that have a photo, like a presence device.

This problem has been reported in the community forums as early as Nov 2019 when 2.18.0 first came out:
Smartthings Classic App update to 2.18.0 broken features - #4 by daven
and I noticed it was still broken last week:
Smartthings Classic App update to 2.18.0 broken features - #76 by jlv

2 Likes

Sorry about your frustrating experience. This does appear to be in a bug in the Android version of the Classic app. I would note that the new SmartThings app doesn’t support custom images for rooms or devices.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know. I still can’t use the new app, as it shows no devices in my account. Originally I thought that was because I still had a SmartThings account, but I migrated it last week and it still shows no devices, rooms, or smartapps.

(That support ticket is still open, and it also started with an email back and forth where I had to keep proving there was a problem. I don’t mean to sound rude, but support has been frustrating)

You can change the plant background to a solid color or another ST provided image, but not your own custom image.

Just noticed that v2.19.1 has the issue with presence/location not working. Again, my wife’s galaxy s6 works 100% correctly, while my galaxy s10 has issues. I’ve brought this up so many times with support now, that I’m just tired of it… :angry:

1 Like

Just move over toLife360. I did it a few years ago and don’t regret anything

2 Likes

Second that. We used to have presence issues with my wife’s iPhone, but my Galaxy was always fine. We switched to Life 360 and have never had presence issues since.

1 Like

And I’ll add a third vote for Life 360. Life 360 is very reliable.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look into Life360. In the meantime, looks like location/presence decided to work again… :confused: