SmartThings App and WiFi Device cloud accounts

Amazon Alexa app allows for cloud devices to work together in one app, i know the app is limited but it works

Will Smartthings ever bring this form of integration because if it did it would solve a whole lot of problems. One app for all devices would put Smartthings right up there with the forward thinkers

St works fine but Home automation is moving quickly and it is very odvious that zigbee zwave is not going to be the only solution for connectivity, if St allowed for cloud account connectivity it would certainly drag in new users

Watcha talking about?

SmartThings is all about “cloud-to-cloud” connectivity. That’s the way Alexa, IFTTT, ActionTiles, Stringify, Nest, … and many, many 3rd party products interact with SmartThings.

In fact, there’s been repeated rumors that SmartThings isn’t about hardware at all. Sure, they currently sell their own Hub and a few Sensors; but the Hub can also just be a stick in a NVIDIA or Samsung TV, or a module in an ADT Alarm Panel.

At Samsung Developer’s Conference a couple months ago (SDC), the big announcement was “the SmartThings Cloud”, which will consolidate all of Samsung’s IoT offerings (Samsung Connect Home, ARTIK Cloud, …) into one.

SmartThings is ALL about the SmartThings Cloud!

2 Likes

I think you completely miss the point

Allow the ST app to connect to other cloud accounts… I have 3 or 4 different devices that are wifi cloud account devices from smaller companies, IF St allowed those accounts to be directly signed into I could control those devices from within St, they are wifi and not ZigBee or zwave, I do not see there integration anywhere unless Developers spend many hours writing custom DHs and apps and even running light weight back end servers, easier option and more user friendly is direct cloud connectivity no

The Alexa app does not care what standard is being used to connect, St could adopt the same strategy in a manner that resembles the Amazon model

Is that clearer, IF St is all about the cloud! where is the integration to the multitude of wifi capable devices ??

Yup… I understand what you’re looking for; but I think you miss the point of SmartThings’s architecture.

SmartThings integrates with non-directly-connected Things via CLOUD-TO-CLOUD connectivity, implemented via Device Type Handlers; and abstracted via their Capability paradigm standards.

This ensures that every SmartThings automation (SmartApps and UI within the SmartThings App), speaks through the same API … Not an arbitrary API from other vendors, but always the SmartThings Cloud API.

Sure: There are various front-end UI’s / Apps that are “portal apps”. That’s not SmartThings’s design or long term strategy. SmartThings is a backend product, not a frontend “App”.

By abstracting 3rd party “Things” into the SmartThings cloud (via DTH’s), alternative UIs for SmartThings, such as ActionTiles can control those Things without needing to know anything about Nest, or Ecobee, or Sonos, or IFTTT, …

The SmartThings Cloud provides a valuable central dispatch for Things and their Events … Apps and Automations. Again… SmartThings App to SmartThings Cloud to Other Clouds; not App to Cloud and Cloud and Cloud and Cloud…

1 Like

Any developer is welcome to write a Device Type Handler for WiFi devices (not just ZigBee and Z-Wave) to publish on the SmartThings Cloud.

And dozens of developers have done this. Ecobee, Konnected.io, … very long list.

I have no interest in Action Tiles, I have an interest in controlling a smart home, my smart home, to achieve that I am forced to use devices which use different standards, I would rather use one standard but at this time in history it is not possible for a multitude of reasons

A single app for all devices makes complete sense, the Echo app is horrible but shows a single app can control all devices, St as a back end is fine but users don’t give a crap about back ends, users want control of there devices no matter what, allowing basic arbitrary API calls is a good thing and should be an option, after all most WiFi connectivity is on off anyway

St as you say does not allow for basic API vendor calling… when in actual fact it really is all that is needed, control need not be cloud based either, for basic calling local is more than enough and reliable

Making an App is very hard. Making a cloud is very hard. It’s best for a company to do one or the other. Samsung SmartThings focuses on making their App work with their Cloud. Instead of over-complicating the App, they move all device & 3rd party cloud interfaces to their Cloud. This keeps their App as efficient as possible.

Yes: They could write direct connectors from their App to other open thing APIs and Clouds; but that’s simply not their philosophy and one I tend to agree with.

As you point out:

There are many long time SmartThings customers who think that the SmartThings App is sub-optimal (some might even say “horrible”). The last thing these folks would want is for SmartThings to divert their App Development resources to adding control of non-SmartThings DTH / Cloud integrated Devices!

If you want an App that can control different vendor’s devices directly from the App “directly” (I call these “portal Apps”), there are several already out there:

• The Home Remote
  • Yeti
  • Gideon Home
  • Yonomi
  • Stringify
  • …

In other words: Don’t try to make SmartThings something was never intended to be. Let those above companies (and more…) try to fill your wishlist.

1 Like

Used them all and all are Challenged … St, Smartthings has the name, it is the one item a user will see in a Phone store and say … hey smartthings that’s what I have … all be it a bulb, plug, whatever… install ST and find in actual fact there smartthings app is actually not very smart

Add basic cloud connectivity to St as Echo app and user happy, I am not trying to make it something it is not, I am suggesting it could be itself with greater and easier integration

I’m confused because you keep using Echo App as the example except you explicitly called it “horrible”.

SmartThings isn’t about the App… It’s about being smart… i.e., automation, not buttons. And that’s all in the SmartThings Cloud. Not the App.

Thanks for the discussion, but we certainly don’t agree.

2 Likes

If you be so good as to point out the rant Rob it would be much appreciated đź–’

I think what happens is developers get tied up with technicalities and tend to forget the basic bit… What a user wants and sees.

A simple approach like Amazons coupled with the current St model would be welcome i believe

I’m a bit confused. Any device which can be controlled from a SmartThings account will be included in the SmartThings mobile app and listed in the Things list. That includes, for example, a Logitech Harmony hub, an ecobee thermostat, a Phillips hue bridge-connected bulb, a Lutron Caseta switch, etc. And you can already do more with these devices through the SmartThings app than you can do through the Alexa app. So I’m not sure what more you would expect: the equivalent of the Alexa app integration already exists.

It’s not a single app that allows you access to all individual features of all devices: as others have said, that’s not the business that SmartThings is in.

Have you had a chance to look at Stringify?

2 Likes

First, the problem is that manufacturers of the devices are not creating the device handlers for the ST environment (as envisioned). Instead, they concentrate on Amazon (or google) integration since that is where their products are sold. Additionally, secondary developers have difficulty obtaining the explicit API information for the myriad of clouds out there.

Second, I would like to lobby for a stronger SmartThings to Amazon Alexa (or google Play) integration where you could send commands from ST to Amazon (google) for all of the Amazon Alexa connected devices. Would really simplify device handlers by providing a common API for devices of the same type from different manufacturers. May be limited (not all features), but for 90% of users it would provide everything they want for devices.

(I know a command API exists for Amazon somewhere. Just look at their mobile app.)

It sounds like you want one unified solution and not “hacks” but as others have pointed out that doesnt exist for a lot of reasons. Having come from Vera (MiCasaVerde) years ago to ST I cn tell you that ST is a great platform with a community of people that want to make ST extend all it can do (helloe CoRE and webCoRE).

However there are somethings that are not officially supported or the API isnt open to mess with it so you need ot use other methods such at IFTTT, Stingify, Yonomi, Tasker, Yeti, openHAB, and the popular Home Assistant.

Who’s “fault” is this? SmartThings or the manufacturers? My understanding is that manufacturers have been appealing to SmartThings to expedite their approval process … and that SmartThings is growing their device certification group tremendously to accommodate this.

Of course, there have been some notable exceptions (Nest? MyQ?).

That’s an interesting idea; but gee… seems really inefficient and risky for SmartThings to leverage the Amazon Alexa infrastructure as a gateway to other devices. Or maybe it’s really clever and expedient. :thinking:

1 Like

It would be risky for SmartThing, unless they partnered with Alexa to expand both capabilities (they already have expanded the Alexa capability, so why not the other way). What is really unnerving is the lack of API standards for smart WiFi components. It would make everyone’s life (especially the consumers) simpler and less stressful.

Like UPnP?

A great standard, however, it is not used evenly. Just ask the people trying to devise code to control the Smasung Multiroom Speakers, the TP-Link bulbs and plugs, and the myriad of cloud devices that are not UPNP.

1 Like

Logitech
Philips
Ecobee
Philips
Lutron

Large companies, Home automation is being brought forward and will continue to evolve ONLY IF it is affordable, £45 for a single plug socket is NOT viable, at this time WiFi is cheap and there are a myriad of cheap Wifi/Rf basic plug power sockets and lights which do not work with ST, the equivalent of the Alexa app device integration does not exist or maybe the ability exists but non of the small companies are using the ability…Why ?

The obvious reason as has been said is Amazon sell the devices and to sell a smart home device today it needs to be voice controlled as a minimum, side affect is the device needs to allow cloud connection, small company, large company, new company, old company all need to allow cloud connectivity apart from the ZigBee version of Echo allowing the obvious connection standard

Not Maybe St needs to be in the business of all features for all devices, St definitely needs to be in the business of all features for all devices, if not the ST approach and mindset will be left behind, it may well have the great community, mature back end and highly developed standards but if users migrate to standards and apps that work for there needs because ST connected kit is too expensive and there devices don’t have easy connection - it becomes a pointless exercise

Strigify tries to accomplish one app for all but again is limited by its adopter list, the same as St and why push people to something that is NOT stamped “Smartthings” that is a bad commercial move, St ( Samsung ) want people to use smartthings and stay in the smartthings environment, they want people to buy a Samsung product and to do that you need to have a flexible catch all approach

They can’t keep even come up with a common standard for charging cables. :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Samsung SmartThings is really smart.
It’s so smart it can connect to Samsung TVs :)…No…WAIT

2 Likes