Smartthings and harmony home hub

So like the title says I wanna know what cool things you can do with the harmony hub and ST . Also had a question , I was wondering when I press the pause button on the harmony remote , if their was anyway to make the lights dim on? I think this would be cool if your watching a movie and had to use the restroom or wanted make popcorn , you hit pause the lights turn on the movie pauses . Anyway of doing this? Also don’t forget to leave your other cool ideas.

Everything has to be done through " ACTIVITIES " which to be fair makes it a major pain in the arse, but you can do everything you’d like to or can imagine one way or another - its sounds mad but complex things are easier than the very very simplistic such as pause / play / mute etc

I ended up making mine simply turn on and off a tv as the rest was just easier with the harmony remote alone than complex activity swapping directed from within smartthings to harmony . . .

3 Likes

You would probably need to detail what you are controlling with pause stop play command. There are many ways to skin this cat. Here is an example for kodi. Kodi/XBMC light control - a (relatively) simple how-to

Ultimately I do program based calls to SmartThings as well as harmony hub activities to dim the lights. I have the Harmony hub simple remote and two of the top row activity buttons control my lights for different levels of lighting TV vs movie.

Wish I could just long press the pause button and it would turn on the lights and pause the movie.

I get it. Is it that hard to press two buttons. Oh and I do have this running as you want it, but it is only in Kodi.

@Ryan00 - did you ever figure this out? I really want the same thing. Harmony should support this by themselves, but development is pretty stale on their side.

Yes and no you can do it by making a activity but it’s a pain

@Ryan00 If you could explain your solution, I would most appreciate it. After much reading I started dabbling with a Harmony activity + SmartThings virtual switch, but I gave up - just couldn’t find a good example of exactly what I’m trying to do.