Smarthings Ecobee Automation Help Needed

I have an Ecobbe4 and I use the Ecobee App to set Home, Away, and Sleep comfort settings. The comfort settings change depending on the time of the day. ie. between 8AM and 3PM it’s set as Away which lets the house warm up to an economical setting which is less comfortable.

The problem is my wife sometimes comes home from her work office to work at home for a couple of hours. I’d like to use Smarthings (since our phones are listed as “Things”) to adjust the stat to a comfortable setting if either of us come home during the Away setting in the 8AM to 3PM time frame and return to the economical setting when we leave but only during the 8AM to 3PM time frame.

How can I automate this?

BTW, I also have the MyEcobeeInit SmartApp if that helps any.

Thanks!

So, you want to change from the away comfort setting to the home comfort setting? That’s easy. I’m not familiar with the SmartApp you mention. I use Ecobee Suite for mine. Very simple or very complex automations are possible depending on what you need/want.

IMHO, it’s the best DTH/SmartApp combo out there for Ecobee’s and it’s 100% free.

5 Likes

Hi,

For your use cases, you just need to follow the steps described at the ST community wiki.
As indicated in the installation steps (part of the zip file you downloaded), there are many complimentary smartapps available at my github. You’d need to use the ecobeeChangeMode and ecobeeResumeProg smartapps

For more information, refer to the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device#Item_3c.29_Choose_some_of_the_following_smartapps_for_your_requirements

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeChangeMode

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=EcobeeResumeProg

FYI, also, for the ecobee4, I’ve recently developed some commands and a smartapp to control and schedule the audio & mic settings …

The smartapp is called ecobeeSetAudio and it’s also available at my github:

Also, here is the comprehensive list of commands available for the ecobee4 under WebCore (if you use it):

command “levelUp”
command “levelDown”
command “setTemperature”, [“number”]
command “awake”
command “away”
command “present”
command “home”
command “asleep”
command “setFanMinOnTime”
command “setCondensationAvoid”
command “createVacation”
command “deleteVacation”
command “getThermostatInfo”
command “getThermostatSummary”
command “iterateCreateVacation”
command “iterateDeleteVacation”
command “iterateResumeProgram”
command “iterateSetHold”
command “resumeProgram” // to resume the scheduled program at ecobee.
command “resumeThisTstat”
command “setHold”
command “setHoldWithHoldType” // For webCoRE/CoRE calls when hold type is different from the default one set as device parameters
command “setHoldExtraParams”
command “auxHeatOnly”
command “setThermostatFanMode”
command “dehumidifierOff”
command “dehumidifierOn”
command “humidifierOff”
command "humidifierAuto
command “humidifierManual”
command “setHumidifierLevel”
command “setDehumidifierLevel”
command “updateGroup”
command “getGroups”
command “iterateUpdateGroup”
command “createGroup”
command “deleteGroup”
command “updateClimate”
command “iterateUpdateClimate”
command “createClimate”
command “deleteClimate”
command “setClimate” // to set a climate like Home, Away, Sleep, any custom ones
command “iterateSetClimate”
command “controlPlug”
command “ventilatorOn”
command “ventilatorAuto”
command “ventilatorOff”
command “setVentilatorMinOnTime”
command “quickSave”
command “setThermostatSettings”
command “iterateSetThermostatSettings”
command “getEquipmentStatus”
command “autoAway”
command “followMeComfort”
command “getReportData”
command “generateReportRuntimeEvents”
command “generateReportSensorStatsEvents”
command “getThermostatRevision”
command “generateRemoteSensorEvents”
command “getRemoteSensorUpdate”
command “getTips”
command “resetTips”
command “getAlertText”
command “setHeatingSetpointRangeHigh”
command “setHeatingSetpointRangeLow”
command “setCoolingSetpointRangeHigh”
command “setCoolingSetpointRangeLow”
command “setHeatingSetpointRange”
command “setCoolingSetpointRange”
command “setDehumidifyWithAC”
command “setDehumidifyACOffset”
command “produceSummaryReport”
command “updateAudio” // For ecobee4 tstat only

On top of it, you can even get some ecobee tips tailored to your indoor/outdoor conditions and based on your ecobee runtime stats…

No other ecobee implementation is as comprehensive and resilient as I’ve created a design which is less susceptible to fail due to ecobee or ST outages…

For more details, refer to the ST community wiki or my ST community forum thread (you can post any questions under my thread):

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device

P.S. I ask for a small contribution due to the time (in the last 4 years) spent for the design, development, and testing of my excellent products.

And , you don’t need to test anything on your own…It’s all taken care of…The code has been thoroughly tested.

You can also contact me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com.
Regards.

1 Like

Thanks guys! Can I use MyEcobeeInit, ecobeeChangeMode, ecobeeResumeProg, and the Free Ecobee Suite at the same time?

Hi, I’d not recommend to use different ecobee implementations to realize your use cases as they may conflict with each other…

If you have any issues, just contact me at services@maisonsecomatiq.com.

Regards

I’d recommend not doing that.

Note that there is a comprehensive list of commands and attributes for my free Ecobee Suite included in the published documentation on my github.

I require no donations, and you can always ask me questions (or post complaints) on my main public thread - I have nothing to hide and I don’t require you to publicly post only nice things about me or my (free) contributions to SmartThings, despite the hundreds of ours I have invested in them. (For your own security, I do suggest sending logs or anything with unique identifiers to me via PM).

I always suggest the obvious path - try my free Ecobee Suite out and see if it meets your needs. If not, then choose another alternative…you won’t break anything by trying.

Hello all.
I have a Ecobee4 and I would like to connect it to my Geyser/boiler.
That part is not to difficult but I was wondering if it is possible to connect an external temperature sensor(probe, that would be inserted into the geyser)
In doing so, the Geyser temperature would be displayed and regulated with the thermostat.

That would be a question for ecobee. This is Samsung SmartThings.

Amazing good stuff. I only installed my ecobee4 yesterday and I’m already missing a function of my old Honeywell t-stat — a clock display. Had no idea how often I looked at that to see the time! Ours is outside sleeping rooms so using Alexa is possible when everyone is up but not all the time. I wonder, can you add content to the display with your tricks? I’ve been relying on this display for 30 yrs. it’s a hard habit to break.

No, sorry, this is not available… The eocbee UI display (on tstat itself) is off limit to developers.

You should ask ecobee support to update your firmware to 4.2.0.394 (or the latest)

That post is pretty old and references by one user the ecobee3. Some folks in last few days have been murmuring about 395. I have 393 and one would think a new install would query for updates - sheesh, a $15 Kasa plug does that much - email sent to e*support asking for push. Thx.

ETA: quite a few folks on Reddit don’t care for the clock at all saying it’s hard to read and awkwardly placed. I’m going back to setting a small battery powered table clock near the Ecobee4. Twenty one days to break a habit if you believe Maxwell Martz. Thanks for link, posting this in case some one else comes clock hunting. I believe this one fall into the ‘be careful what you ask for’ category. :slight_smile: