Smartening a kitchen extractor

I’ve got a couple of hue lights for my extractor coming in the mail in the next few days (don’t worry, there compatible, I checked)…

I’ve already got a Phillips hue dimmer switch (y’know, the one with O/I and +/- buttons…)

I just checked and it fits right on top of all the buttons of the extractor…

The lights are easy… But… What about the buttons that make the extractor work? Would I be able to use the +/- buttons of the remote to trigger them?

The buttons are just 3 flick switches for different amounts of suction power…

I’ve got several Arduino nanos and some esp8266-01s , laying around unused, as well as some 230v to 5v and 5v to 3.3v adapters…

Ideas?

Thanks people!

What is your final goal? I missed that…

Being able to turn on/off both light and extractor independently either thru the hue buttons or via voice…

These are the buttons:

My idea is this:

How is the fan control works there? Are those physical switches? And what is the order to turn on or off and then the speed 1-2-3?

My extractor has a sliding switch for the fan speed 0 to 3, each position increases or decreases a level, depends which direction pulled/pushed. How are your 3 separate switches working?

If possible, I would install a switch/relay inside (A Qubino or any capable to do the motor speed control), and hardwire it to switch 0/1 for on/off. The rest of the control would be through Hue Dimmer and some SmartApps, like ABC Advanced Button Controller. Does the Hue Dimmer support press and held as well?

You shouldn’t ask this kind of questions… Now I’ve started to think that I might should do the same with my extractor.

And that would definitely make my wife go nuts…

2 Likes

Otherwise is that frame what by default comes with the Hue Dimmer? Or have you bought it separately? I looked at recently those dimmers and they are quite cheap.

Lol! I have experience dealing with wife issues… I can give you advice if needed… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s the standard frame that came with the dimmer switch… :yum:

With two small children, I doubt that anything would work with the wife not going nuts…

Have you replaced your Hue bridge to a v2? Or kept the v1 and still working with ST?

Ouch… 2? I hit the brakes on 1… Lol!

I took the plunge on the V2 after much thought…

1 Like

Have a look on this topic and the connected ones regarding the fan speed control.

Indeed do some search how to control the fan. There are multiple topics about it. Dimmers might not the right solution…

1 Like

I was hoping for something more… diy maybe… since I already have the elements… :sweat_smile:

Thanks still!!! :yum:

So what was your final solution for the fan? I have already replaced the bulbs with some IKEA ones. They are far more better than the previous ones were.

I am looking at the fan as well, but it needs something to handle 250 or 300W.

I’m still looking for something… haven’t had the guts to change something so crucial…