Smart Room Controller

@buds444, did you get Neopixels working with SmartThings. My tests today are not working. If I add my strip of pixels to the sketch, the SmartThings shield stops responding, regardless of the pin I am using for the Neopixel.

1 Like

@davidbliss
I havenā€™t dove into it yet. I got sidetracked with a spark core and itā€™s api. I can activate my neopixels through it, so if a smart things app could just do an http post it should be easy. I have my android tasker app, calling different neopixel ring notifications and itā€™s working great.

1 Like

Just a quick update. I just ordered a Spark Core and am going to play around with it. I think it might end up being a cheaper and more reliable way of doing this project than relying on the ST Shield. I also like that itā€™s more open, in case the ST/Samsung merger takes the platform in a direction I donā€™t like in the future.

Thanks @docwisdom for the suggestion.

Yea give it a shot @dome
I have two of them here in the shop and have made some pretty cool projects with them. You can find me at the spark forums under @scsc_tech

Just a quick update on this project - I ordered a PCB to make this more permanent and stable. I was hoping to have it ready for last weekā€™s meetup in Minneapolis but my hot air soldering gun decided to go on vacation. I did bring in my very rough-looking breadboard prototype and had fun showing a few people.

The soon-to-be home of the SRC.

The SRC increases the awesome factor of my desk.

I used the RGB LED output to create some ground effect lighting on my couch as well.

In the meantime, Iā€™ve created a ā€œhardware forkā€ of this project. Iā€™m not a big fan of this name, but for now itā€™s the Smart Yard Controller. It runs off a Particle Core microprocessor and uses a MOSFET to switch on/off a 3/4 inch water valve I got from SparkFun. The valve in turn is connected to some 1/4 drip irrigation tubing that runs sprinklers on my vegetable garden.

In my quest to get the Spark/Particle working as the brains of this project, I decided to start smaller by just controlling a water valve. So far my setup requires IFTTT as an intermediary between the Particle and ST services, but as Iā€™m learning more I will try to cut out the middleman.

So far, it just waters based on a press of the IFTTT DO button or a ST switch tile. However, I hope to create a much more robust interface including adjustable timers, schedules, and input from rain and temperature sensors.

This is the breadboard prototype of the yard controller. Itā€™ll eventually have its own PCB. I used an RGB LED and a piezo buzzer to indicate status.

This is the part of the project that sits outside. Iā€™ll eventually get the electric valve put into some kind of water resistant enclosure but it is staying dry for now under the awning.

This is our fledgling vegetable garden. Hopefully this project will help it thrive!

Thanks @juano2310 and @docwisdom for help and encouragement with working with the Particle.

1 Like

Hi @dome, this looks awesome! Congrats!
Were you at the Minneapolis office last week? Did we meet?

Yes I was there, but you were busy doing something and I didnā€™t get a chance to say hi. Maybe next time!

Sorry I miss you! I had to finish some Zigbee tutorials and improvement with the rest of my team since they came from Palo Alto.

I got a working, standalone device type working in SmartThings for the yard controller. It doesnā€™t have the capability to receive events, however. My next task is to figure out how to make SmarThings recognize events that are published using the spark.publish command.

Here is my code: https://github.com/dome2048/syc/tree/e73f46b3245b4e600ca6cc969c94ca2531cdb765

@juano2310 You looked like you were plotting to take over the world so I didnā€™t want to interfere! :smile:

1 Like