Smart Lighting weirdness with LIFX bulbs

So I have two Lifx blubs in my hallway. I wanted them to come on and off together when activated so I created a simulated switch and used Smart Lighting to link the simulated switch to the Lifx bulbs.

My Smart Lighting setup looks like this:
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt303/FinalBillybong/Screenshot_20170128-193428_zpsid20qv5v.png

The two Lifx bulbs are both named ‘Hallway’ and the simulated switch is called ‘Hallway Lights’.

The problem I have is the over 50% of the time only one of the bulbs will switch on. After this if I toggle the simulated switch off and on, most of the time the second Lifx bulb will turn on. Its not always the same bulb that doesn’t light, it seems to be random which one will turn on and which one wont.

Any ideas? Is there a better way to group the two bulbs together?

Cheers gals and guys :slight_smile:

Give each bulb a distinct name and see if that helps. (I’m actually surprised that SmartThings let you give them the same name.)

You can just use “hallway one” and “hallway two” or whatever you like.

Excellent. I’ll give that a try.

Actually kind of embarressed I didn’t think of that…

1 Like

I don’t know for sure that it will help, but it can’t hurt. :wink:

Well. That did it. Thanks, @JDRoberts

1 Like

Mmmmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.

I have a multi sensor on my front door which is set to turn on the hallway lights when the door is opened. I just opened my door and only one of the two Lifx blubs turned on.

Back to the drawing board.

Edit: Yep. Unfortunately I still have the same issue whatever method I use to toggle my simulated switch.

Does any body else have any insight into my situation? I’m still seeing random behaviour when I toggle my hallway lights on.

No other insight needed. @JDRoberts is one of the most knowledgeable guys here and your problem seemed obvious to me which should be the issue.

However, you might want to consider this simple app.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what’s going on. I’ve changed the topic thread to put LIFX in the title and hopefully that will get the attention of some of the people who are using these bulbs and at least they can indicate whether this is a common issue or not.

I know @whoismoses has written some code for the LIFX bulbs, he might have more to add.

[RELEASE][UPDATED] LIFX Group of Groups

Thanks all. Will look into Trend Setter and see if that helps.

Did you get a chance to look at the LIFX smartapp I linked to in my previous post? You might want to try that first, as it appears there are some issues specific to LIFX regarding multiple bulbs:

You will find that your groups will become much more reliable.

Yes I did see that link. Thank you.

Going to have a play with it now.

1 Like

Thanks ever so much for your help folks.

Lifx Group of Groups was just the thing I needed. All sorted.

Thanks again to all who replied.

1 Like

I am glad it works for you. Sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier or I would have pointed you to LIFX Group of Groups. I’m glad another person is using my DH. Let me know what you think.

I recently added power reporting which is pretty cool.

2 Likes