Smart Bulb / Smart switches clarification (Italy)

Dear all, I was not able to find a similar request, sorry but I’m a bit newbie.

My need is to integrate a full smart light in the house, but I have a big doubt.

Example: Buying only smart bulb, keeping the existing switches:

in this case, if I turn off the light from switches, the light will not be possible to be controlled remotely, since the current is not available with the switch turned off.

How this issue can be solved?

So I was thinking, probably it is better FIRST to replace the existing switches, with the smart model. Then I will be able to turn on/off the light, manually by switches, but also remotely, from the same switches. And this is fine.

BUT, If I want to have also the dimmer function, I think I will need also to add smart bulb.

Then here is the question. Is this the right solution? I mean, having a smart switch that will control the light, but at the same time the light is connected to the system by itself?

Does not create confusion? What I am missing, please?

Thanks for help

Elisa

1 Like

You need a smart dimmer switch and dumb LED bulbs that are dimmable.

1 Like

This is a very common question and you have correctly identified the major issues. :sunglasses:.

We have a community FAQ that should help if you decide you do want to use smart bulbs. However, we do need to know what country you are in as the device selection does vary.

So…first the short answer.

For existing lights that have a wall switch, it is almost always easiest to use a smart switch with dumb bulbs. Also less expensive. And as @Paul_Oliver noted, you can get a smart dimmer switch which will work fine with dimmable dumb bulbs.

But you might want smart bulbs either for their color features or to divide a room into multiple zones. In that case you need to get a smart switch specifically designed for smart bulbs. It will control the bulbs by sending a radio signal, not by cutting the current, so the smart bulbs will still be able to hear the next “on” command.

This kind of smart switch can either be wired into mains power similar to a regular dumb switch or it can be battery powered and positioned next to or over the top of the existing dumb switch.

Again, though, the specific devices available will depend on the country you are in.

Here is the FAQ with more details

FAQ: Looking at a good Wall Switch for my Hue Bulbs (2020 Short FAQ) ( also applies to other brands of smart bulbs)

Thanks for the clarification,
I’m from Italy. I noticed tons of brands from USA, but I’m not finding many from EU.

“But you might want smart bulbs either for their color features or to divide a room into multiple zones. In that case you need to get a smart switch specifically designed for smart bulbs. It will control the bulbs by sending a radio signal, not by cutting the current, so the smart bulbs will still be able to hear the next “on” command.”

Yes this is what I would like to have! Smart in terms of color, white/yellow intensity, separate area, but at the same time the switches that “by-pass” the cut of the current.

1 Like

Ok, there are a few models for the EU, but we have to go into a lot of details and I am not feeling well today. Hopefully someone else will answer, otherwise I will be back in a day or two.

Do you have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub or intend to get one? That will also affect the device choices.

Also, if you are willing to use only smart bulbs that work with a Philips Hue bridge you will have a number of additional switch choices in Italy from the “Friends of Hue” group. But these do tend to be more expensive.

Yes, the idea is to include the SmartThings/Aeotec hub.
Thank you so much! I will wait whenever you can :slight_smile:

Hi Roberts,
I noticed some Tuya switches made from many companies, Moes and Zemismart, etc, that looks fine for the scope of my Job, isn’t it?

Looks like it is compatible with Smartthings. 4 switches that send the signal to the hub, without any wires. Similar to “friends of hue” I think? So it is not talking to Hue bridge, but directly to ST, that eventually can turn on HUE bulbs and many other scenarios. Right?

Tuya makes zigbee and WiFi devices for many other companies. The other companies make a few changes and put their own name on it. This is why you will see the TUYA logo on devices from many different companies.

The problem is that Tuya uses some special code which is different from any other company and it cannot work with smartthings unless someone has created a custom DTH or Edge Driver that recognizes these differences. And it may have to be designed for that exact model, working with one Tuya device does not mean a driver can work with a different tuya device.

So if you search the forum you will find many threads where people bought tuya zigbee devices, including from Moes, and then they could not get it to work with smartthings. :disappointed_relieved:

For that reason, I personally would not buy these devices at this time to work with smartthings.

But you can search the forum for other people who have them and see what they would recommend.

For example, see the following

And definitely check with the following author and see if he has the same model that you do:

2 Likes