Smart Alarm Clock (Beddi)

Hmm. I didn’t catch that. You’re right, there isn’t a way to see if wemo is actually connected. If you’re familiar with ifttt, that would be your best bet. Beddi just released an update this morning, already, to support ifttt. At least on ios

Oops. I wasn’t reading effectively. It’s ifttt maker channel which may be more of a head ache.

The SmartApp is in Smartthings and would use the Beddi app. If IFTT works decently may not need to HTTP requests.

Agree that I have mixed feelings about my phone being the brains of the clock, but if they built it all into the clock it would have been more expensive. Connectivity hasn’t been perfect, but has worked good enough. Figure over the next few releases they will iron out most of the issues. It’s one of the joys being an early adopter.

@CarbonFace: Don’t think Beddi supports trigger other events on alarm. Just through the buttons. It would be a nice feature, and hopefully is on their road map.

I wonder if there will be a way one day to have the BEDDI do TTS? I know it can give you traffic conditions/weather, but it would be awesome if it can utilize TTS so I know when my Simplisafe us alarm is enabled, disabled, etc. My bedroom doesn’t have Sonos and I don’t feel like spending money on a Sonos speaker just for TTS.

The BEDDI app does offers a ‘wake up action’ with other customisables… light, music, snooze periods etc
I’m talking with them now. They said they will be making more video tutorials on set-up flows regarding WEMO.
fingers cross i can get a solution now rather than later :slight_smile:

Not in Android. Probably coming soon.

What smartapp is this? Sorry if I’m being blonde.

A while back I built a smartApp that I was planing to use for my smart mirror. I decided to go down a different path. Basically it just an API endpoint built from http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-web-services-developers-guide/tutorial-part1.html

Just got my Beddi. Really cool device and for a brand new product, it’s very cool technology. However, for me, I won’t be able to use a lot of the cool features since I have other mechanisms from other technologies:

1. Alarm clock - Really cool alarm features with all sorts of options. The problem is, I get up early and have a human alarm clock in my head and very rarely need an actual alarm clock. I also have an Apple Watch which works out better when you have a spouse that doesn’t need to be waken up at the same time for the times I do need an alarm clock for an early flight, catch a train, etc.

2. Other technology in my bedroom - I already have an Echo Dot and Harmony Hub with physical remote buttons on my nightstand. If I want the weather or traffic, I ask my Dot. If I want to turn a light on or off, change a ST mode, I hit the physical Harmony remote.

However, it’s a slick looking alarm clock with a nice muted display for at night. My past alarm clock was an iHome iPhone dock which was so bright, I had to turn off the backlight. That is being moved into my home office now. I also liked programming the smart buttons to certain temperatures on my Nest. If I wake up in the middle of the night too cold or hot, I can quickly hit a button on my night table without fumbling with my iPhone or Apple Watch which then keeps me up since I am more alert. Time will tell how much I will like this device, but I can see this being a huge hit. I am not a huge fan of the wiring for the iPhone dock as it can get a little unruly even with the supplied 3M tape clips. I mentioned above, this thing would be awesome if if can support TTS, but since it’s Bluetooth connectivity only, I can’t see how that would work with Smartthings right now.

1 Like

It will bluetooth to your phone and the phone will send the call through the Internet. That is how the Nest/Hue/IFTT integrations work.

There is some TTS, it can read the weather.

I use a couple of Aeon minimotes in my bedroom. Once integration into IFTT/ST happens those will be re-purposed.

Anyone else having issues with the hue integration? It only seems to work when I actually have the app open. So basically the smart buttons are useless. I could open the hue app just as easily.

Has been working well for me, but need to be connected to the app (app running in background). Did have to just restart it though right now though…

Looked at the maker channel, there is no toggle option for lights. Which sucks. I think I still can make it work for basic ST integrations (turn off main lights/close blinds) but the toggle would be better.

Set up an IFTT maker to turn off lights. Its slow, usually 3 or so seconds, but had it take up to 12 seconds.

I will probably start working looking in to making a smartApp to make http requests. Not sure it will work since ST needs https.

@Andy_Armijo, @Mbhforum, @CarbonFace, @WEBNAR, @peter.major, @Alfred_Wong, @purp
(attaching everyone on thread so they can see this message)

Made a smartApp that works with the HTTP requests from Beddi. Its meeting my immediate needs. Response is pretty quick. This will easily tide me over till the official support comes.

It is massively Beta. Only supports 3 switches and documentation blows. There are most likely bugs. I will work on improving over the next week if there is interest.

1 Like

I definitely appreciate it and I’ll see how this works for me. Ultimately though I’m about to return beddi for the useless crap it is. I can’t even control the built in lights with the smart buttons WITH the app front and center while connected by Bluetooth. I have to press the buttons about ten times before anything happens. Not to Mention that my alarm set for seven thirty am is currently going off for no reason more than twelve hours later. That the buttons are not MEANT to work to control things unless the app is open in some form is unforgivable in my mind. I was a huge supporter. Now? I’ll have to warn anyone who is even remotely interested against wasting their money.

I have had the opposite experience. So far mostly positive, just received my third one and setting it up tomorrow in my son’s room (need to install a zwave switch). Now I have ST integrated I will be using it more (use it mostly on Hue lights now, so 1 press a day)

I am not saying its perfect, thats the cost of being early adopters. It was an ambitious undertaking, nothing out there comes close.

I wish it worked a little more like Android Auto, when you plug in the USB that it would auto-launch the app and connect. 90% of the time I use the Beddi my phone is plugged in.

Found Defect going to bed. Forgot to rollback a change. Checked in fix.

In my defense I said it was Beta…

Oh, I agree with you that this is the only one of its kind. My disappointment comes from no documentation of needing the app open for the clock to function. That sort of thing rubs me very wrong. I like to have nothing but what I am working on open on my phone. It is digital clutter otherwise. On your app for this, it works just fine. TBH I only put one switch on there to test out and it worked with the given limitations of the beddi itself. So thank you for that much.

Cool, and have you tried using IFTTT maker channel in our BEDDI app to try
to control smartthings too?

I did. The delay was pretty bad, 3 seconds up to 12 seconds. Did not support toggle, so I would have to use 2 buttons (one for on and another for off). With the smartApp its about a second.

The HTTP request was a great feature.