Simplerulebuilder - now private

Really great @JoeC! I had a little go and have the following wish list (in order of importance to me!)

• Day of week and time of day needed in conditions (already on your todo)
  • Allowing more than one trigger to start the rule evaluation (rather than having to duplicate the rule) and if you can’t do that, adding a feature to copy a rule.
  • ORs in the conditions (with brackets!)
  • Using mode changes (or Hello Home Actions?) as triggers (already on your todo)
  • Open Source :wink:

Thanks a lot for this!

@JoeC, you’re probably already aware of this but device name changes aren’t synced to the site.

There is an Update Things button on the setup page. It will check for any Things that have been added, removed, or edited. Give that a try.

Thanks for all of your feedback and suggestions. Really good stuff! I’ll update my to-do list.

Yeah that worked - should have had a poke around first :blush:

Just setup, so this is my first impression.

Nice job!
Setup was quick and easy. Doesn’t require the end user to know any code or to even go into the ST IDE. Just Register, Authorize devices and start setting up rules. :smile:

A couple of first use observations:

• I created a new rule, but forgot to name it before hitting save. It let me save it and it showed up under “Rules” as a blank line. I figured it would be hosed at that point, but I was able to click on the blank and add a title to it.
  • Under “and these conditions are met”, “Add” is at the top, if you add a bunch of conditions, you keep having to scroll up to find the Add button, then back down to edit the new condition and save it, then back up to add another. I think it would be beneficial to move the “Add” button to the bottom of the conditions being added, exactly like you are already doing under “do these things”.
  • After creating and saving a rule, I do not see a way to delete the rule.
  • The RulesEngine website is not using SSL, exposing the password in clear text able to be sniffed out anywhere along the route between the end-user and the RulesEngine website across the Internet.

Just pushed today’s work live.

Condition Groups - OR logic
Copy a rule
Delete a rule

Looking forward to your feedback! Let me know if I broke anything :neutral_face:

No more invites for a little while. There are around 40 people using the rules engine now and I’d like to make sure things are good at this level before we let more in.

Thanks to all that have reached out for beta test invites. Please don’t hesitate to contact me about any issues, bugs, inconsistencies, or feedback you have.

Oops, sent the invite request before I got to the bottom of the page. I will wait :slight_smile:

Watching to see updates and when I can get.

This looks fantastic. Hopefully smart things buys this from you or something:) Otherwise yeah go opensource so that I can pop this on a server of my own–then scaling might not even matter. Ofcourse if you are looking into scaling; this may be an add-on service that people would be willing to pay for. I don’t know how big the smart things market is but lots of people would love this.

While we are dreaming; It would be cool if it were eventually integrated with if then this and than have IFTTT be able to trigger rules that you have setup.

1 Like

I got a couple of Cree bulbs yesterday and this rules engine makes me want to try it more now. I don’t deal with Modes much but this would make it much easier for me to tailor how my ST devices work in my home.

how/where can i install this? :smile: its avaible already?

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback so far. Just a reminder, I still want to hear from you! :smile:

Any feedback you have is very helpful. This weekend I’m going to take a look at either days/times in conditions or modes/hello home integration.

Has anyone had a chance to really take a good look at the Condition Groups yet? Using that OR logic for anything cool?

@JoeC I created rules to deal with a closet that has no light on the inside but has a light outside. I posted something over here about yesterday. Everything seems to be working ok with the rules that I created to make this work but I think that there my be some minor tweaks on my end that i will deal with this weekend. I used the conditions and those appear to be working correctly, at least for my application. I may add more rules this weekend. Next weekend I will be installing 8 dimmers and 5 motions sensors through out my house so after that I anticipate adding a lot more to the rules. I am very excited about the modes integration and look forward to that assuming ST can resolve this issue with sunrise/sunset. Keep up the go work and thanks for make something that is user intuitive! I is an awesome app!

I’m slowly migrating my smartapps to your rules engine. This is much easier to work with.

Me too. It’s working well.

Is there a time option for dusk and dawn?

Thanks!

I created a rule for when my basement door opens, turn on basement light and then another to turn off the light when to door closes. It is not working.

I do not have an And condition. Do I have to have one?

Thanks.

If I would create one, it would look something like this…

Trigger: OnBasementDoorClose > Condition:LightIsOn > Action: LightOff

The only problem I see with this is if you open the basement door, the light turns on then you close the door behind you, the light turns off LOL.

You don’t need a condition (at least last time I checked), it should work with just a trigger and an action.